• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Moving on up! From TE 28 to TE31

Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Moving on up! From TE 28 to TE31

Post by Nancy »

Re: WOT RPM - as you probably know, you'll want to see that number on a photo tach.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
PilgrimPaul
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Edgewater Yacht Club Cleveland, Ohio

Post by PilgrimPaul »

Thanks Nancy, yes! On my Engine Surveyor’s precise device!
GGAlbinTherapy
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Sausalito

Post by GGAlbinTherapy »

WooHoooooo! Not over-propped!!! Best of luck with working through your concerns and landing her in your dock space!!!!
PilgrimPaul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PilgrimPaul »

Well I finally have a minute to catch my breath and report back on the next chapter of the “TE 28 to TE 31 transaction”! After the failed sea trial on the 31, the owner put a significant amount of mechanic’s time into the engines, servicing the seawater pumps and coolers and fresh water cooling system with new tstats and coolant. The objective was to be sure to get to a successful sea trial. After the work the engine surveyor, Tom Hug, reports both engines achieved 4200 rpm at no load and 3802 and 3823 at full load, with no other problems or red flags. I did have the valve seals looked at and they are the original gray version. After the work the owner did on the coolers the valve seal replacement request was not accepted. We closed, and two weeks later we had the boat trucked to Cleveland for winterizing and indoor storage (cold) and a reservation for transom paint! We now have an Albin TE 31! I think, (know) that we bought a project but I think that we can and will enjoy the adoption! The TE 28 that we had sold in one week after making the post on this AOG Webpage, Sell/Swap/Buy. What a crazy month October was. Our 28 left the dock on Tuesday and the 31 was delivered two days later on Thursday! I should probably see a psychiatrist?!
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Congratulations! With the boat stored indoors, I foresee lots of puttering over the winter. Have fun!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by REBMystic »

Congrats on the 31! I just finished my first summer with my T31 and will be digging into the engines this winter. They were very reliable this summer, but stbd is very smoky (I knew this when I bought it). I'll report on the Good and the Bad as I go along!
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"
PilgrimPaul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PilgrimPaul »

Thanks Rob and Nancy for the good wishes! And Good luck Rob on the off season program! Me too, already making a list of pieces/parts to hunt down. It is a bit different to multiply everything by two when considering the twins, then add another engine for the generator! We’ll both be helping the parts departments!
GGAlbinTherapy
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Sausalito

Post by GGAlbinTherapy »

Great news on your purchase!!!

Trade notes down the road on servicing our double Yanis.
PilgrimPaul
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PilgrimPaul »

Thanks GG! I will report back after a more thorough and thoughtful assessment. I’m actually considering changing the timing belts myself and possibly going after the valve seals too. Might as well adjust the valves while I’m in there?! The Service Manuals and Parts Guides for these engines are pretty well written and since there are two I can use one for practice! This forum has a number of posts about all of the work items and (can’t believe I’m saying this) UTube has a lot of useful videos. Charging the cylinders with air to hold the valves up seems to be the big challenge. We’ll see….
Thanks again for your input and support!

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”