• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Re new deck caulk seams

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Albesaurus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Connecticut

Re new deck caulk seams

Post by Albesaurus »

Happy spring! I decided to dig out and replace the caulk joint of the fuel tank access on my 02 engine box 28TE. The caulk i am removing is silicon like and i am not sure what it is. I want to replace it with the proper caulk/marine silicone.

Any suggestions on this project? Life caulk? Other. Obviously its an access so minimum water proof seal is what i would say.

See photos

Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Re: Re new deck caulk seams

Post by gmberkley »

I placed painters tape on both sides of the joint, and used Boatlife Life Caulk to fill the joints, then removed the tape.
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
Albesaurus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Albesaurus »

Thanks Gregg. I did wind up using boat life life caulk. I will say though that while i was at west marine getting ripped off ( $34 per tube). There was a marina tech in the aisle with me. He told me the best caulk is a UV resistant 4000 adhesive. I said that its not necessary to bond as much as it is to seal out water. He said true but the UV will break down the life caulk in less than 5 years and it will turn yellow and shrink/fail.

Because i will need to get into this access in less than that time. I went with the life caulk to make the removal easier.

Very tedious job! It took a full day to remove all the old caulk and an hour to re caulk. I used two full tubes. I did not use painters tape. I used my thumb wet with water and a little soap to smooth out the joint. Its a better job than the original but not perfect. Its also bright white against the vanilla colored deck.
Banjamm1n
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Bowen Island

Post by Banjamm1n »

Ours had a thin braided rope under the caulking at the front, it made removal of that section much easier once I found it
I might try doing it all around on re-installation
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

Banjamm1n wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:05 am Ours had a thin braided rope under the caulking at the front, it made removal of that section much easier once I found it
They probably used that as a bond breaker. The idea is to only have the caulk / sealant bond to the sides of the joint, allowing for more flexing and less chance of failure. Evidently when sealing a u-shaped channel, if it bonds to three sides then it won't flex and it will lead to early failure. When I re-did the seam around the pilothouse, I used bond breaker tape along the bottom. Quick google search on bond breaker should give you more info.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
Banjamm1n
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Bowen Island

Post by Banjamm1n »

GSSeattle wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:18 pm
Banjamm1n wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:05 am Ours had a thin braided rope under the caulking at the front, it made removal of that section much easier once I found it
They probably used that as a bond breaker. The idea is to only have the caulk / sealant bond to the sides of the joint, allowing for more flexing and less chance of failure. Evidently when sealing a u-shaped channel, if it bonds to three sides then it won't flex and it will lead to early failure. When I re-did the seam around the pilothouse, I used bond breaker tape along the bottom. Quick google search on bond breaker should give you more info.
Had no idea, thank you!
I’ll do some research on it
Albesaurus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Albesaurus »

Update. The boat life caulk lasted only one year before yellowing and cracking… next time I spend a full day pulling out caulk i will replace it with UV resistant 4000. Like i was told to use but didn’t listen!?$!?
Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

Post by Mike Monte »

btw: I just ordered eight 3M UV4000 white cartridges from Amazon @ $15.22 per unit.

I used Life Caulk to redo a seem last season - it "yellowed" by Sept....never again...

I plan to re-bed my portholes before May and will use the 3M4000.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Hate to say this, but we used 3M 4000UV at the pilothouse joint a few years ago and it yellowed within a year. I wasn't happy. Yes, it could be sort of cleaned with a toothbrush and Soft Scrub with Bleach, but that shouldn't be necessary.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
GSSeattle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina (Anacortes, WA)

Post by GSSeattle »

I've had good luck with Life Seal (not Life Caulk). Made by BoatLife as well. Hasn't really yellowed, but does catch some dirt. Dirt does wash off easy. Unlike the 3M products, a half used tube of Life Seal will still work in 6 months. Handy to keep around for small projects.

I've also used Sudbury Sealant in the past, but it is much thicker and harder to work with.
Greg

2000 Albin 28 TE "Turtle Express"
Harp31
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Wickford

Post by Harp31 »

Last 3 boats I’ve recaulked all seams with black uv 4000. Some people hate the look, but it stays crisp and clean for years.
LillianpFD
First Mate
First Mate

Post by LillianpFD »

Harp31 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:08 pm Last 3 boats I’ve recaulked all seams with black uv 4000. Some people hate the look, but it stays crisp and clean for years.
You have any pictures of the black? Thx.
Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Mike Monte »

I used Life Caulk last spring to re-seal around cabin of my 28TE. It yellowed/cracked/LEAKED by September.
I re-caulked around the cabin again this season using Pettit AnchorTech Advanced Hybrid Sealant.
*fingers crossed*
Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Mike Monte »

Mike Monte wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:00 am I used Life Caulk last spring to re-seal around cabin of my 28TE. It yellowed/cracked/LEAKED by September.
I re-caulked around the cabin again this season using Pettit AnchorTech Advanced Hybrid Sealant.
*fingers crossed*
The Pettit sealant (mentioned above) worked well through the end of the season.
Hopefully I'll get a few seasons out of it.

fwiw: This past spring a tech (from Standish) replaced my fuel tank. He also used the same sealant. He said that it was the best for sealing deck seams.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Mike Monte wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:56 am The Pettit sealant (mentioned above) worked well through the end of the season.
Hopefully I'll get a few seasons out of it.

fwiw: This past spring a tech (from Standish) replaced my fuel tank. He also used the same sealant. He said that it was the best for sealing deck seams.
Good to have this input, Mike.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987

Return to “Albin Maintenance”