• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

31TE transmission replacement

Slackwater
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Rock Hall, MD

31TE transmission replacement

Post by Slackwater »

I have a 31TE with a single 450 hp Cummins and a ZF 280 transmission. I need to replace the transmission. The engine needs to be pulled out to replace the trans. The large lift up hinged access hatch in the pilot house isn’t large enough to lift the engine and trans. together. The trans. would have to be unbolted from the engine first so the engine can be pulled out, followed by the trans. Unbolting the trans from the engine is not easy due to poor access to the bottom bolts.
I noticed what appears to be a much larger access hatch that goes the full width of the sole and extends about a foot beyond the doors into the cockpit. This hatch appears to be caulked in place. If I can get this larger hatch removed it will make the project much simpler..
Is this really a removable access hatch? Has anyone removed the larger hatch? Is it just held in place with caulk and what is the best way to remove the caulk to open things up?
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Re: 31TE transmission replacement

Post by irishwake »

I had my transmission replaced on my 2002 31 Albin. The engine was not pulled. They removed the transmission and took it out on the port side under the seat. The small hatch outside the door was removed for access to the rear of the transmission. The boat remained in the water during the transmission change. Getting a new transmission was a bit of a problem. I purchased one in California and had it shipped to Florida. If you need any information just let me know.
Slackwater
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Rock Hall, MD

Post by Slackwater »

Irish wake, Thank you! Did you have the same engine and trans as I do? 450 Cummins and ZF280
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

Yes. I had a 450 Cummins with a ZF280A, 1.769/1

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”