• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Stern anchor reels and anchor retrieval set ups

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

bnb1088
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: la conner wa

Stern anchor reels and anchor retrieval set ups

Post by bnb1088 »

How many feet of line is adequate for stern tying in Desolation Sound and area? I see anything from 100' to 600'. I've looked at the QuickLine flat reel at over $2,000 for 300 ft. Also seen bulky hose reels with polypro line. For line seen 1/2'' floating line, webbing, and polypro.

Ideas for anchor retrieval also needed. Other than just a float and 100' of line secured to end of anchor. Lots of snags on the bottom, so need a retrival system along with the new windlass and rode.

As a senior single hander need to have them easy to deploy and retrieve. Will probably row the dinghy ashore once bow anchor down. Any comments and suggestions appreciated. Working on my spring outfitting.

Thanks for your input earlier on bow anchor set-ups.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Stern anchor reels and anchor retrieval set ups

Post by dkirsop »

300' of 1/2" line will do for most anchorage stern ties. A plastic garden hose reel can often be adapted for stowing the line on the rear deck for a lot less than most marine offerings. For single handing you will need to figure out a way to secure the reel to the rear deck while you row out from the boat.

I made a caddy using the spool on which the rope came to hold and store the line but rely on my wife to hold it whilst I row out. I am considering alternative means to support it for single handing.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Re: Stern anchor reels and anchor retrieval set ups

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Belated reply, I don't often check the General Discussion page.

Our set up for stern line reel is much like Dave's (dkirsop), about 300 ft give or take of 1/2" conventional floating three strand poly line. In most circumstances that's plenty enough line to run to shore & double back to the boat for easy release & retrieval. Line is tied off on the port stern cleat and excess tied off at the davit to keep the rest of the reel from unspooling. Our situation is fairly unique in that we have our Garhauer lift davits for the dinghy and I slightly modified a plastic garden hose reel for the stern reel in order to strap it down atop the port davit arm as seen in this photo, taken while anchored in Tod Inlet on the Saanich Peninsula of Vancouver Island on the back side of Butchart Gardens. 2019 was our last cruise in BC. Anyone up in the Pacific NW interested in becoming an Albin 25 owner we're planning on one last trip up in June, launching from Olympia, WA, do a final three or four week cruise, and upon returning lay our boat up for sale on consignment at Capitol City Yachts brokerage in Olympia, including the motor sail mast rig, sails, and our 2015 Gig Harbor Nisqually 8 ft hard shell dinghy with early 1990's two stroke 2.5HP Tohatsu outboard (as seen in the top photo).
20190718_172118.jpg
DSCN4889.JPG
DSCN4897.JPG
As for anchor retrieval a trip line is always a good idea where there's a risk to snagging on something that won't easily break free. Otherwise if you're talking about a bow anchor, what I sometimes do is after pulling the rode up tight directly over the anchor, if having a hard time getting it to break free I'll tie it off & cautiously motor ahead until it does break free. But that's with the Admiral at the helm & I can signal when it does break free. I don't a have a powered windlass, just a hand powered sailboat sheet winch that can help pull p the rode until it gets to the chain. After that have to man handle the 26 foot chain up the rest of the way. I do have a short 16 inch bowsprit and anchor roller.

PS, for anyone who happens to visit Vancouver Island, Butchart Gardens is a must see stop. If going by boat one can anchor in Tod Inlet and dinghy around to a dinghy dock on the back side of the park.
20190720_103812 (1024x576).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond

Return to “General Discussion”