• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Need bigger rudder

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Need bigger rudder

Post by Denis »

I think that after the boat comes out this fall, I am going to bolt a sheet of plywood to the rudder. By doing that I am confident that the boat will finally steer, what a novel idea! :lol:
I would like to know one thing, how do you go to engineering school, design a very good hull, bolt on all the stuff to make a great boat but miss the boat, so to speak, on something so important as a rudder?
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
Double Lucky

Size Matters?

Post by Double Lucky »

Denis, sounds like there is a sea tale behind this post? russ
Butch
In Memorium
Home Port: St Michaels,Md.

Post by Butch »

LOL...there is a story somewhere
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hey Denis,

There is a thread here somewhere that addresses your problem, and to the contrary of what you may think. It seems that the stock rudder on some models is too big! And that is the cause for the reduced capabilities in steering. At least that's what I get out of the thread. On our 2001 I often think I have reduced capabilities at the rudder when the screw is really turning (i.e. high rpm). Specifically, I think I have a hard time applying starboard rudder and often have to ease her port to get her to go more starboard.

Not sure if this makes sense. I'll see if I can find the thread.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Double Post - Sorry!
Last edited by Elizabeth Ann on Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I would be curious to take a 28' for a ride some time. My understanding is that the hull, keel, and rudder on that boat are just a scaled down version of ours, which actually handles quite nicely.

Is it possible that, with the principal demographic of owners being people who converted over from I/O's and outboards, perhaps some people just aren't accustomed to how a full keel, diesel inboard boat handles?
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

The Albin 28 tracks very well compared to many power boats. If you come from years of sailing as I have you are used to boats that track like they are on rails. When I got my first inboard power boat it was quite a shock to handle around the marina. As soon as it was in gear it started to go 5 knots, way too fast and near the maximum speed of a sailboat. Take it out of gear to slow down and the boat did not steer at all. It would start to turn sideways to the direction it was headed. If you take an Albin out of gear it at least continues in the same direction and even steers a little. You have to anticipate what is going to happen and take advantage of the prop walk. This only comes with experience.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Mariner wrote:I would be curious to take a 28' for a ride some time. My understanding is that the hull, keel, and rudder on that boat are just a scaled down version of ours, which actually handles quite nicely.

Is it possible that, with the principal demographic of owners being people who converted over from I/O's and outboards, perhaps some people just aren't accustomed to how a full keel, diesel inboard boat handles?
good point, but if there was an actual change made by albin then i would think it a design flaw.
Invest01

Post by Invest01 »

I just sold a 45ft downeast, single screw, full keel boat w/bowthruster newer 2001 model custom and she turned better than the 2005 28TE I just bought. I found that strange.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I ran a UTB 41 Coast Guard boat with twin engines that weighed in at 26,000 lbs. at 26 knots it would turn circles around my 28TE. At any speed over 12 knots my 28 will hardly turn to starboard. Yes, I have hydraulic steering, yes the bottom is clean. It tracks nicely, runs great, stable as can be....just turns like a pig.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Interesting. I'll have to go back and look at the pictures I took of the hull of the 28' they had at the Seattle Boat Show last year.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

and a 28 is far from a full keel boat. Small skegg is more like it.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Sorry to hear that some are having issues with steering. I am very happy with forward steering, it starts to turn as long as the boat is in gear. Dont get me wrong, without the bow thruster I would have to make a 2 point turn to get into my marina. But at all speeds above idle it works well, even at high speeds it turns both ways with little wheel effort.
Reverse is a different issue, no sense even steering. I would have to say without the thruster I would not want the boat.
Here is a picture of my 2001
[img][img]http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u40/ ... rudder.jpg[/img][/img]

Hope this helps

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Sorry for the delay in my response, but I was visiting on the outer banks for a few days.
Yes there is a story behind my post. I have been boating for 18 years and I take pride in having my boat in control at all times. I know my 28 does not turn very well to port, at any speed, but it is especially bad when I need to make a tight turn to get lined up to back into my slip. Add a 15 knot breeze pushing my bow to starboard and I am screwed. Throttle, steering, bow thruster, nothing would help my situation and it basically pushed me sideways up against the pilings. Luckly, it was a very soft landing and I was able to pivot around to back in. A few days before my situation, I was on a friends 30' down east boat, I don't know the make, and he could put the nose of that boat anywhere he wanted. I know I still have a lot to learn about a single screw but a boat should respond when the wheel is turned. Sorry for the rant. :oops:
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"

Return to “General Discussion”