• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

rough around the edges Albin 25

Albin's "power cruisers"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Re: rough around the edges Albin 25

Post by WillieC »

Mine did not come with the mast tension post, though there is evidence that it once used it. I have the same bracket but a shorter post used only for supporting the forward end of the vee-table. The other end, where your mast tension post is, has a hinged leg (it doesn't look original) and that whole assembly stores in the head as described earlier. I never could quite figure out how it was supposed to fill in the vee, stay there without falling out, and make into a usable bed without being too high leaving extra creases in my backside when I slept on it. So I made another plywood filler supported on new ledges so that it fits flush with the original slightly raised frame of the seat edge. (Have I reached my thousand word limit where one picture would have sufficed? Nah!) Then to make up the 12.7 mm difference, I added cheapo HarborFright faux rubber/foam diamond plate mats over the rest of the vee so that in the event I ever make new cushions all the same thickness and density, I might actually get a good night's rest. We also leave the bed made up and eat all our meals in the pilot/helm/ house/cabin, whatever. We also have the full cabin extended BC hardtop with only canvas and isinglass sides and back. And the handy-dandy reversible bench seat for entertaining visiting dignitaries. We also move the Origo out there for cooking. If I could move the sink out there, I might be able to put a shower in down below! What an idea!
Don't worry about the roof support. It is quite solid without it.
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Actually, if you have the original Albin table that stores in the head, then you have the V-berth table also. It serves double-duty! I forgot to mention that. You just jogged my memory
At that same gathering in Ladysmith the owner of Alanje brought out his collection of Albin sales brochures and I snapped photos of some of the pages, including this view of a happy looking Swedish family modeling the features of the cabin. I've found with ours that the table is wobbly & difficult to get my fat butt past it to sit down, so we don't use it, only use the table for its other function as a fill in board to turn the settees into a full width V berth. I wonder if they were playing ABBA's "Mamma Mia" on a stereo while enjoying their meal? These photos are instructive, showing the original equipment Groco HF toilet & a vanity sink in the head. On our boat a previous owner, who knows how far back in time it was, removed the vanity sink & put a little set of shelves against the wall in it's place. Probably because the head compartment is so small and cramped.
20180721_195044.jpg
One of our previous owners, or maybe it was OEM(?), came up with this idea for a cockpit table. I've also taken that socket fitting off original cabin table/fill in board and attached it to the cockpit table so we can use it either in the cockpit or the cabin. But it's nowhere as nice as WIllieC's cockpit table. I wouldn't worry too much about keeping the boat "original". Almost every one out there as been modified/customized to fit the owner's preference, as you must have noticed looking at the boats at the Ladysmith meet.
Albin table in Cockpit.jpg
Since we don't have a built in icebox in that wall opening next to the cabin door, this plywood table stows over the opening when not in use & serves as a cover, as shown at left in this old photo saved from previous owners' CL listing. The little jump seat has since been removed.
Albin Portside Cockpit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Awesome literature there DA! Did you get the photos of the whole brochure? If so, they would be a great addition to the Documents section of this site. (They could keep my ink-stained Lehman 4D61 Owner's manual company).

I noticed that the caption to the table picture refers to the "revolving" table. Makes sense, as the table could pivot on the post, allowing room to squeeze by.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

There are pdf scans of various documents & drawings posted on the Albineers of BC club website that can be downloaded & printed if you want to.

Yes that's true, the table can pivot on the post. But in my experience it seemed "wobbly", so we don't use it as a table & I removed the socket & drop down back leg & just use it as the fill in board to make up the V berth. Saved all those parts of course for when the day comes that we eventually sell the boat somewhere down the line.

http://www.albinbc.com/technical/documentation
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

When I was on Alanje I went over all the documents and manuals, great bunch of info and facts. That boat had many interesting items on it and I think the owner said that the Albin manual was on the Albineers site too.

I assume that my dinette table is original along with the cockpit table because of some images I saw online but I might look at those again, I have seen that cockpit table and the dinette table's mechanism and now that I think about it the table part might not be original.

I will be doing what you said WillieC, I have no ledge either and I want the filler to fit better than it does now, we tried out sleeping on a bit of a diagonal next to each other and it worked great other than the 1.5" difference in height from the plywood to the top of the table. I have a big thick chunk of foam that will be our new bed mattress, just looking for an electric carving knife to cut the foam. Remove the pole and make getting in and out easier and we are good to go. Where do you set up the "cockpit kitchen"?
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

I ripped out the original Albin ice box, built an enclosure to hold our new Pelican 45 quart chest in the same general location. There are pictures somewhere here on the forum. I use the top of that box for the Origo and dishwashing, or the table on its pedestal behind the seat for same activities.

Here are some pics of the cooler box:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=10769&p=70065&hilit=door#p70065

Be bold! Make it how you want it!
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

Yup, I remember that set up now. I hope to do some similar things as in split door! Already found the solid door always in the way, those drawers are nice but I would never get around to building those but great job shoehorning everything in there, looks good.
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

Just picked up a new anchor. The one that came with the boat was not very encouraging.
IMG_1524.JPG
Ill keep it for emergency or stern tying.

I went for a 7.5Kg - 16.5 pounds claw with 20' of chain, I was going to try a 22Lb but lifting all that was not in my plans.

Out of curiosity what does everyone use for ground tackle if you swing on the hook and who has a windlass?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by WillieC »

Windlass?! Nothing beats a 6 am departure and the first thing after rolling out of the sack is hauling the anchor. Man up! HA!
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

WillieC wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:21 pm Windlass?! Nothing beats a 6 am departure and the first thing after rolling out of the sack is hauling the anchor. Man up! HA!
Ha! All fun and games until someone gets a triple hernia and heart palpitations!! :mrgreen:
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

I am searching for a new prop and I have been on the Vic Prop site doing some calculations but there are some things that I am guessing at, like :
Beam at the waterline in feet:,
Hull draft in feet (excluding keel): ?? Thats a weird one...
Number of shaft bearings (per shaft): I want to say 1 but??

Any recommends in a prop shop or maybe where to find a used one?
Has anybody used Vic Prop?
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

ssrig wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:53 pm Just picked up a new anchor. I went for a 7.5Kg - 16.5 pounds claw with 20' of chain, I was going to try a 22Lb but lifting all that was not in my plans.
Bruces (claws), CQR's and plows are all yesterdays technology. If you want to go lighter, look at Rocna, Manson, Mantus or Spade types - Even then, you'll need at least 25 pounds, but it's entirely worth it because you can sleep soundly at night

For a 25 foot, 7,000 pound boat, I wouldn't call a 16 pound claw an 'anchor' - That would be a 'lunch hook' in my book. I certainly wouldn't go to sleep if that was all I had down

I don't understand making anchor decisions based on what you want to 'lift' - Go with what ever it takes to keep your boat off the rocks in a blow

If you have trouble getting a proper anchor back on board, you SHOULD invest in a windlass

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We have a 10kg (22 lb) genuine Bruce with 26 feet of chain & total of 240 ft of rode. No windlass, but inherited a manual sailboat sheet winch on the bow that can at least help pull the rode up to where the chain starts. It is " old school" technology but has served us well so far. We sat on the hook in Fisherman Bay on Lopez Island for 3 nights a few weeks back, 9 feet of water at low tide, 18 feet at high tide, mud bottom, 90 feet of rode out, winds steady about 8 to 10 knots gusting to 20 & didn't drag an inch. It "soaked in" over that time & held well. Yes it can be a bit much to haul in by hand, but not so bad if I pull it in as much as possible to where the boat is right over top of it, tie it off & have the Admiral at the helm motor forward enough to break it loose.
Ha! All fun and games until someone gets a triple hernia and heart palpitations!!
We have a bowsprit & roller. I sit on the deck, brace my feet against the bow rail & use my full 200 lb body weight to rock back & pull with arms straight out. Also wear wrist braces.
Last edited by DesertAlbin736 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

[/quote]
Beta Don wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:10 pm
ssrig wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:53 pm Just picked up a new anchor. I went for a 7.5Kg - 16.5 pounds claw with 20' of chain, I was going to try a 22Lb but lifting all that was not in my plans.
Bruces (claws), CQR's and plows are all yesterdays technology. If you want to go lighter, look at Rocna, Manson, Mantus or Spade types - Even then, you'll need at least 25 pounds, but it's entirely worth it because you can sleep soundly at night

For a 25 foot, 7,000 pound boat, I wouldn't call a 16 pound claw an 'anchor' - That would be a 'lunch hook' in my book. I certainly wouldn't go to sleep if that was all I had down

I don't understand making anchor decisions based on what you want to 'lift' - Go with what ever it takes to keep your boat off the rocks in a blow

If you have trouble getting a proper anchor back on board, you SHOULD invest in a windlass

Don
Well I will be going to a completely different set up than what I have now, rest assured that I dont select anchors based on what I can lift but I am going to be selective and keep this set up light-ish for light duty day stuff. It might get some duty time for an overnighter or two when the weather is good before I figure out what I will use.
For my main ground tackle I have not yet chosen the type or brand yet and will be going to more chain, larger hawse and bow roller and yes maybe even a nice flush mount windlass who knows right now, I just got the boat hence my question about what people are using and what works for them.
I see you have an A27, what size and type are you using?
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate

Post by ssrig »

DesertAlbin736 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:25 pm We have a 10kg (22 lb) genuine Bruce with 26 feet of chain & total of 240 ft of rode. No windlass,
Thanks, Do you find this satisfactory or are you wanting more? 22lb Rocna, stainless swivel, 1/4" chain, all chain, Lewmar V700 windlass over self launching bow roller??? That would be nice but $$.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”