• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cleaning a brass prop

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Baldwin, NY

Cleaning a brass prop

Post by dgetswet »

Seems like I did not pay attention when they took the boat out of the water and power washed the bottom. The prop is in some sorry state with barnacles and calcium deposits all over her.

Can anyone recommend a solvent or something to help clean it?
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Cleaning a brass prop

Post by Pitou »

After a long winter's rest, the barnacles will scrape right off with a stiff plastic scraper. Then use a stiff brush on the prop for a clean shine using 10 water to 1 pool acid or muriatic. Wet the prop first before brushing on the 10 to 1 then rinse. Wear rubber gloves, long sleeves & eye protection.

If you want the "shine" to last, buff with a metal polish or the prop will tarnish in just a few days.

BTW .. your prop is most likely nibral, but could be bronze.
Last edited by Pitou on Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

dgetswet wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:38 pm Seems like I did not pay attention when they took the boat out of the water and power washed the bottom. The prop is in some sorry state with barnacles and calcium deposits all over her.

Not a brass prop, probably bronze, or nibral.
Several choices:
Take the prop off and give to a prop-shop for acid bath and cleaning as well as balancing and tuning.
$150-$250.

Or do it yourself: Elbow Grease, clean and polish, then prime and paint,
Etc.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dgetswet »

Pitou wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:10 pm After a long winter's rest, the barnacles will scrape right off with a stiff plastic scraper. Then use a stiff brush on the prop for a clean shine using 10 water to 1 pool acid or muriatic. Wet the prop first before brushing on the 10 to 1 then rinse. Wear rubber gloves, long sleeves & eye protection.

If you want the "shine" to last, buff with a metal polish or the prop will tarnish in just a few days.

BTW .. your prop is most likely nibral, but could be bronze.
Thanks for the info. I thought Muriatic acid was bad on metal?
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dgetswet »

Norseman wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:13 pm
dgetswet wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:38 pm Seems like I did not pay attention when they took the boat out of the water and power washed the bottom. The prop is in some sorry state with barnacles and calcium deposits all over her.

Several choices:
Take the prop off and give to a prop-shop for acid bath and cleaning as well as balancing and tuning.
$150-$250.

Etc.
Thanks for the info. With the extra time trying to do as much as I could before they open the shops again.
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

dgetswet wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:21 pmThanks for the info. I thought Muriatic acid was bad on metal?
You are correct and that's why the 10 : 1 ratio and not to be applied to a dry propeller.

I'm currently servicing my raw water coolers and the bronze end caps were just soaked in a 10 : 1 solution for cleaning. The same will be done with the inside of the cores this afternoon.

If you're not comfortable doing this, I've seen guys scrubbing fror a few hours using toilet bowl cleaner. Myself, I prefer the 15 to 20 minute start to finish method.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dgetswet »

Thanks Kevin I appreciate the information you've been giving me.
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck
dgetswet
First Mate
First Mate

Post by dgetswet »

Norseman wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:13 pm

Several choices:
$150-$250.

Etc.

Thanks for the info. I was going to take the prop off but decided against it. I cleaned it up fairly well and thought to myself who is really going to see the prop if it shines or not. Its clean thats all that matters to me right now. But thanks again always good to get new ideas.
Thanks
Don N
2005 Albin Flush Deck

Return to “Albin Maintenance”