• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

RobS /Toy-rific Christmas transmission

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

RobS /Toy-rific Christmas transmission

Post by RobS »

My Albin's Christmas List: Tranny, Torsional Coupler, Tranny Cooler, Motor Mounts, Timing Belt, V-Belts, Exhaust Valve Seals, Valve Adjustments, Coolant... Just to name a few things...
Last edited by RobS on Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wow

Post by RicM »

Rob:

Is that the outcome of your noises at the end of you delivery trip? If so I would let the surveyor hear it in no uncertain terms.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

RobS wrote:Tranny, Torsional Coupler, Tranny Cooler, Motor Mounts, Timing Belt, V-Belts, Exhaust Valve Seals, Valve Adjustments, Coolant... Just to name a few things...
I'm not an expert by any means, so I have to ask.
Is this something you did because you wanted to do it or HAD to do it?
I went back and read your "tranny noise" post. All related to that?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wow

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:Rob:

Is that the outcome of your noises at the end of you delivery trip? If so I would let the surveyor hear it in no uncertain terms.
Yes this is the outcome of the noise at the end of my trip home. It was after 90 miles that the noise was first heard so I did not see the point in getting back in touch with the surveyor, seller or broker. I don't think they would have anything to say worth listening to. What's your thought Ric?

Just glad it happened now, not at the start of next season. You can make more money but time is lost for good. The engine & tranny are already out and the bildge is all cleaned and ready for March/April when it goes back together. The engine is spending the winter in my mechanic friend's shop and will get a full maintenance work over. There's no pressure of time which makes the entire ordeal a little less painless.

There is a marine tranny guy here on Long Island who is very well respected in the industry and specializes in ZF units. He's closed til the 7th for the holidays so I'll contact him when he returns but chances are I'll just go new. I've gotten prices of $2,750 - $2,900 for a new tranny (ZF 63IV 2.0) so a rebuilt will likely not be worth considering. I'd rather spend the extra money and know it's done once and for all.

I've spoken with Mack Boring, ZF Marine & a few good mechanic's and we're all suprised that this tranny with only 450hrs has a problem in the gears, supposedly real rare.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Attitude

Post by RicM »

Rob:

You have a great attitude, and therefore I predict you will enjoy your Albin completely when the repairs are done. I just find the coincidence of all those things happening together right after purchase a bit much. Who did your survey? I'm not saying you should rip the guy, but I think a non accusatory letter stating the facts would be in order, not to bust him but to let him know that he missed this and may want to adjust his future survey of Albins to include a full mechanical in these areas. There is no way a tranny with 450 hours should need to be replaced.
I suppose you are lucky in a way, it could have been at that afore mentioned yard in RI ripped apart all winter while you argue with the mechanic!
A quick cheap addition that you may want to suggest to your mechanic while the engine is out is an oil removal system (I'll bet he'll agree). They have a special drain plug they can put in the oil sump with an on/off attached to a tube. You can then flip the valve open and attach an oil drain pump and empty the sump from the lowest point in about 15 min. clean with no mess. Even if you don't like to do your own work, it will make oil changes cheap and easy. Change the oil often (50-100hrs) and your motor should outlast your next 5 transmissions (cruel joke).
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Attitude

Post by RobS »

RicM wrote:Rob:

Who did your survey?
The Survey was completed by Ken from Johnson Marine Services LLC. I also had Eddie Johnson from Johnson Boat Works down on a different day for a seperate seat trial and he gave the engine & tranny a clean bill of health minus preventative maintenance items. I was present both days and feel both of them did there job thoroughly. If this was more than a coincidence I believe it lies with the Broker and Seller.

Just to clarify this: The only "thing that happened" was a slight knocking noise in the tranny after about 6 hours of cruising. There was not a failure of multiple items. The tranny noise did not go away and became louder over the last 2 hours. The next day I went out to investigate it and it sounded so loud I thought the tranny case was gonna explode.

I was hoping it was the torsional coupler but after pulling it apart the coupler looks fine and spinning over the tranny by hand generates the noise.

Torsional couplers do not last forever and have improved with technology so since it's out and apart it will get changed, only $180 part. Whenever you change a tranny it's recommended the cooler be changed too, a $300 or so part. The motor mounts have rust on them and are cheap enough, with the motor on a stand it's a simple change out. The only "failed item" is the tranny. Everything else is either "since it's out" or "preventative"

The oil evacuation is on the list too...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Attitude

Post by RicM »

Like I said, you have the right attitude. I would ship the broken transmission parts to ZF and see what they have to say, and again, be glad that the boat's not up in Cranston getting torn apart there. I would be curious to see what the transmission cooler looked like. If cooled and lubricated properly that transmission should last for thousands of hours. Check water supply to cooler also. If there's marine growth in the passageways restricting water flow that could have a major impact. Do you have a temp light for the transmission on the dash?
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

The noise is in the gear side of the tranny, the fluid side of the tranny appears fine: filter is clean, fluid is clean and at proper level, no indication of elevated temperature at plastic dipstick. Once LI Marine Engine & Transmission re-opens on the 7th I'm gonna speak to him and see what he recommends. He knows my mechanic well, and came highly recommended by him and Mack Boring.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

We are getting a little off topic here. I'm going to try and split this post.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

jcollins wrote:We are getting a little off topic here. I'm going to try and split this post.
Excellent, Thanks John
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Brought the engine home yesterday from my friend’s shop. Here’s what we ended up doing:

4 Yanmar Engine Mounts
Exhaust Bend
12 Exhaust Valve Stem Seals
Timing Belt & Tensioner & Idler
V-Belts
All Senders
Impeller
Oil & Filter
Coolant
All Zincs
Yanmar Fuel Filter
Upgrade to Vulcan Torflex 1000 Coupler
ZF 63IV Tranny
Yanmar Tranny Cooler
Remote Oil Changer Kit
Prime/Paint Where Needed

The engine will stay in my garage for a month or so and then we’ll start getting it all back together first part of March. I took advantage of a warm day a few weeks ago and gave the bilge a good cleaning. I also removed and painted the bulkhead that separates the engine room from battery room and changed the hardware on it. I’ll paint the bulkhead at the fuel tank before the motor goes back in. Dropping off the shaft and prop this week to be checked and reconditioned as needed and then we’ll be ready to go.

That’s one my antique Allis Chalmer garden tractors that I restored, another hobby of mine, one that I once thought of as kind of an expensive hobby. My Dodge truck sits so high I could not see the engine behind me for the 35mile drive home from the shop. Even if I put the tailgate down the toolbox blocked the view. The hose for the oil changer kit is coiled up on top of the engine and secured with a cable tie. All I could see in my mirror was the tip of the cable tie sticking just over the tailgate – that was my only reassurance that my $30K load was still in tow. There was no backing up with the truck so Allis helped me out at that end.

I’ll keep some pics and posts coming as I progress:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

Talk about learning about the new boat! Wow! ........... A fine job and way to jump in. .......... You'll sure feel good when it's over and enjoying your new TOY ............. my best
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
StockHR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by StockHR »

What a project. Looking forward to the pictures. Good luck

Mike
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Sorry to hear about your issues, but it looks now like you may have leapfrogged right past a bunch of us as far as "getting to know your boat".
Im sure you will now have years of trouble free time while using your like new Toy.
Hope to see you out there this coming year.... I was down there yesterday tinkering...cant wait...

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Couldn't let yesterday's weather go without a little progress.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “General Discussion”