• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

batteries on 28 TE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Albin28McKinney
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Tarpon Springs, Florida

batteries on 28 TE

Post by Albin28McKinney »

I have a 2005 28TE flush deck. There is a size 31 battery on the starboard side right behind the holding tank and a group 4 battery on the center line. Which is supposed to be for the house bank and which for engine starting?
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Re: batteries on 28 TE

Post by Norseman »

Not sure about your boat, but my 2001 A-28TE has two Golf Cart Lead Acid Batteries for the House Bank: T-105s, and a 27M-HXD start battery.
It was a bit on the low side initially but after I installed a solar panel and then a modern fridge, as well as all LED lights, these batteries are ok for cruising a week or two, no generator or shore power needed.
(75 watt solar panel, with an MPPT charger/solar controller.)
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Albin28McKinney wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:10 pm I have a 2005 28TE flush deck. There is a size 31 battery on the starboard side right behind the holding tank and a group 4 battery on the center line. Which is supposed to be for the house bank and which for engine starting?
Are your selector switches actually labeled HOUSE vs START or are you trying to just choose one vs the other?

How are the batteries labeled by the manufacturer? Is either Deep Cycle ?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
gmberkley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Fairhaven, MA

Post by gmberkley »

I have the same boat, 2005 Flush Deck with the same battery configuration, the battery located behind the transmission, (center of the boat), and in front of the fuel tank is the larger of the two. The attached pic is of that battery. My battery switch only has 1, 2 or 1&2, not sure which switch is for what battery. Kevin Street suggested I dIsconnect the terminals from this battery as it's easier to get to, and then determine if its #1 or #2. It's on the to do list, (Kevin's list for me grows by the day), From the above comments, it seems like each battery is designated for a specific task, would someone please comment on that, and also, should I always have the switch on both batteries, if not, why? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Gregg M. Berkley 25 Ton Master USCG
2005 Albin 28 TE Flush Deck
Fairhaven, MA
Albin28McKinney
Mate
Mate

my only battery switch has two choices either "on" where both batteries are are indeed on (house and cranking) then "All" where they are connected together. I tried to google if they are deep cycle or cranking but the only information I could find suggested they are both dual (deep cycle & cranking). The previous owner had replaced the battery switch and had the center line 4D battery as the cranking battery but I suspect that is incorrect. Would love to figure out which is supposed to be the designated cranking battery.
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

The Group 31 is the starting battery. It is designed to provide lots of cranking power over a short time. The 4D is the house battery, it provides for consistent loads such as fridge, lights, etc. over longer periods of time. Usually, but not always, Batt. 1 is wired as the starting battery, Batt. 2 is the house bank.
Albin28McKinney
Mate
Mate

thanks for that information. That is exactly what I suspected. I have rewired the switch so the Group 31 is my starting battery.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Does anybody know the CCA requirements for starting the Yanmar 6LP?
I am considering a dual purpose Group 27 battery rather than a strictly cranking as the bow thruster also feeds the start battery. :shock:
Last edited by Norseman on Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

For your records...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

catalina_mike wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:50 am For your records...
Looking at the diagram is shows the bow thruster powered by Bank 1, which appears to be a big 8D, or the house bank?

On my boat I am pretty sure the anchor windlass is powered by the House Bank, 2 T-105 Golf Cart Batteries, and the Vetus bow thruster by the group 27-1000 start battery.

The previous owner may have changed stuff in the system, I know he added another battery, perhaps he changed other stuff as well.

Either way, there seems to be a shortage of batteries these days, the Deka distributor is out, West Marine is out..
Found a warehouse that had 2 T-105s left and the start battery I needed.
Bought them on the spot. :shock:
BE041586-43B5-4373-B6AE-E66DDC225E83.jpeg
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Dag

Without knowing what a group 27 battery is, I’ll chuck in what I have. 2 180ah deep cycle batteries with 1150cca cranking. Replaced both last year after seven years service and I have zero issues - the only thing I need to do is move the bow thruster over to the starting battery so it doesn’t knock out my electrics after long days at sea on the hook.

I did have the misfortune of my shore power supply tripping a couple of months back and I think it had to be off a good week before my AIS signal disappeared from marine traffic. I leave my original Norcold fridge on permanently so it’s working at its most efficient (and yes it’s makes drinks ice cold!) My AIS and autopilot stay live also as I don’t switch my electronics off at the dash. I leave the AIS live as an added security measure and an indicator that the boat is ok for peace of mind.

Both batteries were down below 10 volts and I thought that was both of them dead. Charged them up for two days just using a 10 amp charger and they’re as good as ever.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

Norseman wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:18 pm
catalina_mike wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:50 am For your records...
Looking at the diagram is shows the bow thruster powered by Bank 1, which appears to be a big 8D, or the house bank?

On my boat I am pretty sure the anchor windlass is powered by the House Bank, 2 T-105 Golf Cart Batteries, and the Vetus bow thruster by the group 27-1000 start battery.

The previous owner may have changed stuff in the system, I know he added another battery, perhaps he changed other stuff as well.

Either way, there seems to be a shortage of batteries these days, the Deka distributor is out, West Marine is out..
Found a warehouse that had 2 T-105s left and the start battery I needed.
Bought them on the spot. :shock:
BE041586-43B5-4373-B6AE-E66DDC225E83.jpeg
It actually shows the thruster using what ever battery is selected by the switch. It's on the common output. On my 28TE I used the starting battery while underway and the 8D while on the hook. I added a promariner charging device that prioritized the starting battery charge first. It would then switch to the house/8D.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

I have a different system for sure: Not a 1-2-BOTH-OFF switch, but 2 separate battery switches: ON or OFF.
DB9AA120-7D74-4725-A808-0CCBA97EE464.jpeg
Running isolated all the time but if needed I have button on the panel that forces the Isolator/Combiner to connect both banks and I use it occasionally when turning in a narrow canal and using the bow thruster: All 3 batteries act as one bank for 30 seconds after a push of the button.

(Is the combiner button standard on all Albin 28TEs) :?:
caribou
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Portland

Post by caribou »

New owner of 1999 Albin 28 T E - how do I get batteries out in order to charge?
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by catalina_mike »

You should have a onboard charger ti charge them.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937

Return to “Albin Maintenance”