• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rainwater in the bilge - solved

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Mike Monte
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Portsmouth, RI

Rainwater in the bilge - solved

Post by Mike Monte »

I have been getting more and more rainwater in my bilge / cabin during recent seasons.
Main cause: a leak in the starboard scupper drain hose. Fix: I replaced the 6" (?) hose between the inner/outer fittings. I also replaced the inner fitting (deck side) as it was cracked. I ended up doing the same to the port side.
- small drains (from the deck storage boxes). I replaced the hoses plus the check valves.
- removed/rebedded the port holes and replaced the outer frames
- removed/replaced all of the caulking along the deck/upper cabin part
- caulked around the radar arch mounting plates

We had a sizable rain storm two days ago and the bilge (plus quarter berth and head compartment) were dry.

2001 28TE
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Rainwater in the bilge - solved

Post by Nancy »

Yay! Love a happy and successful ending!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Albesaurus
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Connecticut

Re: Rainwater in the bilge - solved

Post by Albesaurus »

I discovered this winter that my engine room hull vents were a huge source of rain water in my bilge. The boat was shrink wrapped completely but only to the bottom of the rub rail. I pumped out the bilge completely dry after the wrap. Every time I went to the boat over winter there was nice clean, clear water in the bilge! I complained to the yard manager and he said its probably something I didn't winterize correctly and it froze and broke. Of course that was not it because I drained all down including the hot water heater and ran pink through all. Then on a very heavy rain I went there and checked to makes sure the wrap was good. No visible leaks but the bilge was filling again??

turned out to be the vents because when I sealed them up with shrink tape. That was the end of the rain water.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”