• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

GROUND TACKLE UPDATE INFO REQUEST

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

bnb1088
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: la conner wa

GROUND TACKLE UPDATE INFO REQUEST

Post by bnb1088 »

Would like feed back on updating the ground tackle on BECKY MI AMOR (Albin 25), as lots of Knowledge in this site. I am experienced on larger vessels – 30’ to 48’ with all chain rode, but not on a small boat like BECKY MI AMOR nor in this area. My Plan for upgrade is: Lewmar 700 Pro Fish windlass, new cross-t mooring bitt/samson post; modify/extend existing wood support under anchor roller; 100’ of ¼’’ G-4 galvanized chain, attached to existing 150’ of 3 strand 1/2’’ rode and existing 22 lb. lewmar claw. Plan to cruise San Juans, over to Van Island, at least as far north as Princess Louisa and hoping for Desolation Sound. add a washdown pump as I hear there is lots of mud on the bottom. Single handing, this senior sailor doesn’t want to go for midnight walk-abouts, or go forward too much. Thanks in advance
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: GROUND TACKLE UPDATE INFO REQUEST

Post by dkirsop »

Good choice on the winch. Having the motor above deck keeps the lower locker clear of obstructing motor and wires. Also, a horizontal gypsy keeps the rode path simple with only one change in direction before dropping into the locker. My Albin 25 came with 100' of chain and 200' of rope - lots of holding power. You could go 50' chain and 250' rope and still have lots of holding power with less weight in the bow. I do recommend a total length of 300' as lots of the anchorages north of Sechelt tend to drop off quickly.

I strongly recommend a self-launching anchor system with winch control at the helm. I find this a major convenience and a huge safety improvement too. Being able to drop and set anchor from the helm is great for single handing. I am 72 and often have to single hand the boat when anchoring. I also have a second control at the winch (actually kept in the bow but retrievable from the forward hatch) for retrieving and cleaning the anchor if required.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

I don't have a lot of anchor photos but here are a few. Click on the image to enlarge.
Helm Control.jpeg
Anchor Config.jpeg
Foredeck.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
bnb1088
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by bnb1088 »

Educate me please, with 2 questions: 1) You wrote 'strongly recommend a self-launching anchor system with winch control at the helm" Is this the free-fall system lewmar sells? I justified, to myself, the upgrade from the 550G to the 700. But having a hard time justifying the $250 price to get the anchor to the bottom a few seconds faster.
With the power up/down switch at the helm, how does the free-fall system give any major benefit to regular anchoring?
2) I noticed that you have the hinged anchor roller? Have you found it a benefit in anchoring handling? My existing anchor roller seems short; was thinking of extending it out about 4" to get anchor clearance. Had not thought about also adding the hinge.
Thanks for your input.
Now sitting in La Paz on a friend's boat, planning my first trip to B.C., via Sidney and visit family.
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

The shape of the anchor shaft and the hinged anchor roller are what result in a self-launching anchor system. The anchor does not free-fall - it is lowered using the windlass and the up/down control at the helm.

For the hinged roller to work it must be mounted sufficiently high that the rubber bumper strip at the bow does not interfere with the movement of the roller arm. This requires about a 2" thick board beneath the roller assembly and similar blocking beneath the winch to keep the chain vertically aligned with the windlass. The roller arm must be able to drop when the tension is removed from the chain so the anchor can slide forward by gravity when the windlass plays out the chain.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by dkirsop »

Here is another example of a self-launching anchor set up. The elevated rub rail on the A25 requires the bow roller and windlass to be raised so the bow roller has an unobstructed drop.
Self-launching Bruce.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
bnb1088
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by bnb1088 »

Thanks for the education. Understand the different terms now. As I plan to change the existing wood board under the roller, and want self-launching, as I don't want to go forward each time, i take into account your advice. Love that Ultra anchor, had it on my 48', never drug in 10,000 miles. But not in BECKY MI AMOR's budget.

Return to “General Discussion”