• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Shaft removal on CB 32+2

For 32, 32+2, 35, and 45 owners.
Jakevc
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Annapolis

Shaft removal on CB 32+2

Post by Jakevc »

I have a 1996 32+2 with Cummins 6BTA 370 with a forward ZF V-Drive gear. I am getting ready to pull the engine to address a turbo flange leak and several other maintenance issues. I am also going to replace the seals on the Norscot dripless shaft seal.

Question: Does the rudder have to come off to remove the main shaft on the 32+2? Advice from anyone who has done this job is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
jmfernan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Santa Barbara, CA

Re: Shaft removal on CB 32+2

Post by jmfernan »

Jake, yes- pretty simple job. Remove 4 bolts on bronze bottom rudder support, remove rudder shaft tiller arm, possibly loosen rudder stuffing box and it drops out. Solid bronze rudder so be prepared for the weight.

Good time to repack rudder stuffing if needed and cutlass bearing (check cutlass with shaft in for knocking/play). I added a small bilge sump (a fiberlassed box recessed into a hole cut into false bilge) while engine was out to collect minor bilge water and prevent shaft from flinging it around.
Joe
1999 32+2
Yanmar 6LY2-440
Jakevc
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Annapolis

Post by Jakevc »

Thank you. Very helpful! Follow on question if you don’t mind. Once the shaft coupling and prop are removed is it possible to slide the shaft forward through the stern tube to replace the shaft bearings and dripless seals instead? There seems to be enough clearance forward of the engine.

Thank you again for your help!
jmfernan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Santa Barbara, CA

Post by jmfernan »

I don't know if that would work. Dropping the rudder wasn't a big deal but does potentially open up 'while it's out' items- checking for crevice corrosion, shaft trueness, cutless, etc.

If you are pulling the engine+trans at the same time you'll probably need to back the shaft out past the rudder to free the trans. But if just pulling the engine perhaps your method would work. The sink/livewell assembly would have to be removed to pull the engine+trans as one unit. We were able to fit the Yanmar 6LY in/out without removing the sink/livewell but it was tight and required some tilting, I'd imagine the BTA would be similar.
Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Command Bridge 32-45”