• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

I have questions— 28-31 pre-purchase

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

AlbinOhhh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Arizona (not much water here)

I have questions— 28-31 pre-purchase

Post by AlbinOhhh »

Years ago I had a series of Whalers (11,17,28,25) but no longer live near reasonable water (Arizona). Now as I approach 65 yrs of ago I’m thinking it’s time to bring in that year with a tour of… The Great Loop!

I’ve looked at several ideas but in the end, I think a diesel powered 28-31 TE model hits all the right notes. I can bring a small moto on board for shore excursions. I like the open deck. And as it will likely be only me, or perhaps a small dog, I’m in no need for “luxury” as I’m a pretty simple guy.

I posted here looking for the following answers:

1) I’ll be buying used. Are there better years than others regarding overall quality or are they pretty much the same?

2) I see they’ve come with different diesel engines. Which is my best choice?

3) Is is more advantageous to have the rear deck box or not?

4) what is considered low, average, and high engine hours?

5) what is fuel consumption if I just troll along? What should I expect for avg fuel consumption on plane?

6) what “options” should I be looking for?

7) how trailerable are these? Should I try to find one with a trailer?

8) what known defects should I most be aware of?

I’m mostly considering models from late 90’s to mod 00’s.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
:!: Looking for my mid-life crisis in my 60’s…
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chestertown, MD

Re: I have questions— 28-31 pre-purchase

Post by Jkraft »

1. As a rule of thumb, newer often tends to be better just because it has seen less “age”. In the early 2000’s they switched from wood encapsulation in the stingers to airex. I wouldn’t let that be a deal breaker for the right boat.

2. If traveling with the boat and doing the loop. I would push to find one with Cummins or yanmar power for ease of parts availability in a hurry

3. That’s your personal preference. Either option is fine. The 31 only comes with no deck box

4. Under 1000 hours is low, 2000 is average, 3000 plus is on the high end I’d rather buy one with more hours than less. Low hours does not mean good things in the diesel world. Get service records and proof of maintenance

5. The 28 will burn 10 gallons an hour at cruise. The 31 will burn double that

6. Good electronics, radar, auto pilot, generator, inverter, windlass, heat and ac is a good start

7. Not very trailerable due to their width and weight. Maybe for storage but not a normal thing.

Lastly, if you are between the 28 and 31, just get the 31. It does everything the 28 does but better and is easy to run solo. 3’ makes it feel like twice the boat.

Get a survey on whatever you buy and ask questions questions and more questions. You have come to the right place!
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
2002 28 TE with 315 Yanmar “Hair Of The Dog”
AlbinOhhh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlbinOhhh »

If I get a 31 I’m look at twin motors, correct?

Any idea of mileage at trolling speed?

Any comments on the “family edition” models?
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

AlbinOhhh wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:11 pm If I get a 31 I’m look at twin motors, correct?

Any idea of mileage at trolling speed?

Any comments on the “family edition” models?
The 31 was offered in both single and twin configurations. My 31 is a single and that was my preferred option due to ease of engine access.

Not sure of mileage at trolling speed. Hopefully someone else can chime in. It will be different for single vs twin

The 30 family edition is of no relation to the 31. It is simply the same boat as the 28 te with an extended hull. If still has the narrower beam of the 28.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
AlbinOhhh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlbinOhhh »

Found some approximate fuel usage figures for the 28 at the link below.

http://www.albinowners.net/Press/Albin% ... n%2028.htm
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

I have owned two 28 Albins and one 31 Albin. I would definitely go for the 31 with a single 450 Cummins. At cruise speed it averaged 11 gallons per hour. At trolling about 3 gallons per hour. Overall average was 6 gallons per hour. Not to pop your bubble, but good luck in finding one to purchase.
Jkraft
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jkraft »

irishwake wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:11 am I have owned two 28 Albins and one 31 Albin. I would definitely go for the 31 with a single 450 Cummins. At cruise speed it averaged 11 gallons per hour. At trolling about 3 gallons per hour. Overall average was 6 gallons per hour. Not to pop your bubble, but good luck in finding one to purchase.
Just curious, at what RPM cruise were you averaging 11 gph with the 450? I average .91 mpg/ 20 gph/ 17 knots at cruise with the 500 qsc 8.3. You are right about it being hard to find one, if you find one that you think is the "right" one you can't move slow on it.
USCG 100 Ton Master

Current boat:
"New Classic"
2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp

Previous boats:
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

There are lots of opinions on whether a flush deck or engine box model is better, but it really boils down to personal preference, so you'll want to go aboard both versions and see which one works best for you. As you know, much of the Loop is on the ICW, where speeds are usually limited. I think the average speed for boats doing the Loop is 8 - 12 knots. I don't have exact numbers for mileage, but the Yanmar 315 drinks about 5gph at that speed.

We have a 2005 28 flush deck and after 7 years of fun, we're thinking of selling it. Our boat has a Yanmar 315 with about 1600 hours on it. We optimized the boat for our kind of cruising and you can see some of the improvements on my blog: cruisingboatdesigns.blogspot.com. We keep our boat in Huntington Harbor and would be glad to give you a tour if you're in the neighborhood.
irishwake
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pensacola, Florida

Post by irishwake »

J Kraft. I don’t have the exact numbers in front of me, but as I recall I would cruise at about 2100 and achieve about 22 mph. This would all depend on how clean the bottom was, sea conditions,and weight on board. I have a complete history of all fuel #’s if you would like to see them. I sold the boat back in March and will have to get them out of the computer.

That would be incredible! Those are good numbers. Feel free to message me any time. Always happy to talk Albins
AlbinOhhh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlbinOhhh »

Ben423 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:32 am There are lots of opinions on whether a flush deck or engine box model is better, but it really boils down to personal preference, so you'll want to go aboard both versions and see which one works best for you. As you know, much of the Loop is on the ICW, where speeds are usually limited. I think the average speed for boats doing the Loop is 8 - 12 knots. I don't have exact numbers for mileage, but the Yanmar 315 drinks about 5gph at that speed.

We have a 2005 28 flush deck and after 7 years of fun, we're thinking of selling it. Our boat has a Yanmar 315 with about 1600 hours on it. We optimized the boat for our kind of cruising and you can see some of the improvements on my blog: cruisingboatdesigns.blogspot.com. We keep our boat in Huntington Harbor and would be glad to give you a tour if you're in the neighborhood.
I might just take you up on that invite. You’re 6 hours away at a straight shot.
AlbinOhhh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlbinOhhh »

The fuel table I found.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

AlbinOhhh wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:13 am
Ben423 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:32 am There are lots of opinions on whether a flush deck or engine box model is better, but it really boils down to personal preference, so you'll want to go aboard both versions and see which one works best for you. As you know, much of the Loop is on the ICW, where speeds are usually limited. I think the average speed for boats doing the Loop is 8 - 12 knots. I don't have exact numbers for mileage, but the Yanmar 315 drinks about 5gph at that speed.

I might just take you up on that invite. You’re 6 hours away at a straight shot.

I see that Pat Goggin has put his engine box model up for sale. I believe he keeps it in Alamitos Bay, about 15 minutes from Huntington Harbor. Looks like a great opportunity to see both versions of this incredible boat in one trip.
Patrickgoggin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Long Beach

Post by Patrickgoggin »

Let me know I’d be happy to show you the engine box model during your trip.
Patrick

2000 Albin 28 TE “Phantom”
1978 34’ Californian LRC “Spirit” (Prev)

Return to “General Discussion”