• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cutting acrylic for the electronics box

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Quench
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: North Carolina

Cutting acrylic for the electronics box

Post by Quench »

We need to replace this black acrylic cover for the electronics box mostly due to the hideous white cover that some PO put over a hole. But also because new electronics are going in up there.

I'm getting a quote for about $300 just to cut the shape. That won't include the key hole or the hinge holes and definitely does not include openings for the electronics. That seems kinda pricey, but I don't know if we can make a clean cut of that outline. Has anyone cut one of these and been happy with the outcome? If so, how?

edit - not sure if you can see that image, but if not, it's just the cover for the overhead electronics box on a 28 TE.
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Re: Cutting acrylic for the electronics box

Post by Ben423 »

You can cut acrylic (plexiglass) with a jig saw using a blade specifically for plastic, but it won't be pretty. You'll need to finish the edges with a router. Be sure that the acrylic is cast, not extruded. Extruded sheet will crack and craze when drilled or cut. Cast acrylic will not. I learned these lessons the hard way back in my boatbuilding days.
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Post by catalina_mike »

I made covers for both my Albin and Silverton using 1/4" black starboard. Easy to do! Use a fine jigsaw blade or a oscillating multitool. I finished the outside edges with a router and a 45 deg bit.
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal
Quench
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: North Carolina

Post by Quench »

Good info - thanks. I found a 1/4" black starboard on Amazon for $40. I'll try that out before turning back to the fabricator.
AlbinOhhh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Arizona (not much water here)

Post by AlbinOhhh »

There are a number of Tap Plastics stores in CA, WA & I think other states. They’ll sell and cut you whatever you want. Might want to try one of their stores. They may ship as well. If it’s plastic, they do it!
:!: Looking for my mid-life crisis in my 60’s…
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Don’t use acrylic, use polycarbonate. Acrylic shatters where as polycarbonate will take a few knocks.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.

Return to “General Discussion”