• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Saturated with Oil

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Connormike73
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Onset, Massachusetts

Saturated with Oil

Post by Connormike73 »

Forgive me I'm new. Should the filter be saturated with oil?
Previous owner once ran the motor without the oil fill cap until he noticed. Could this be leftover? See pic attached
20240304_144159.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Saturated with Oil

Post by tego »

Blowby from your crankcase vent will eventually coat your air filter with oil. If it's not excessive, it's a good thing as it helps trap particulates from getting sucked through the filter. Yours looks OK. Ben
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

This is the cheapest Yanmar part you will ever buy. Order several at a time. I change mine with every oil change or sooner if I'm in there poking around. During oil checks i will often spin it to a different location.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

My Yanmar came without an air filter. What is it? Like a lawnmower filter that just snugs around the intake housing like a headband/earwarmer?

(Just when I thought I had spent my last dime on deferred maintenance...)

This one? Mine is a late '80s 4LH-TE. $50? Think I'll go to Ace and get a half dozen Briggs and Strattons and a roll of good duct tape.
IMG_9167.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

IMG_0347.png

Sorry, they used to be $6.00, now $11.00. Still possibly the cheapest!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Connormike73
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Onset, Massachusetts

Post by Connormike73 »

Thanks everyone!! Happy boating to all this season 🚤
tdsull
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Marblehead, MA

Post by tdsull »

Blow by is common, but we are no powerless. I put a breather tube filter and a KN filter over mine and got rid of the stock foam filter. I buy them at auto zone, they can be washed and reused or replaced each year. I wanted to go the Airsep route but couldn't pull the trigger.
Tim
Louise ll
28 TE 2000 (6LP-STE)

Return to “General Discussion”