• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AD21 gear problem

Albin's "power cruisers"
Daniloncho
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Brasil

AD21 gear problem

Post by Daniloncho »

]Hola tengo un ad21, con problemas en caja de cambio , a veces no entra la directa y cuando coloco reversa parece que aumentan los problemas. Como desarmo la selectora que tipo de solución tengo.
Gracias
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: AD21 gear problem

Post by Nancy »

Unfortunately, I don't speak Spanish, but I ran the above post through Google Translate:

Hello, I have an ad21, with problems in the gearbox, sometimes the direct gear does not enter and when I put reverse it seems that the problems increase. How do I disassemble the selector, what kind of solution do I have?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: AD21 gear problem

Post by dkirsop »

The AD21 transmission uses two precisely machined springs to convey power through the transmission.

In forward mode, the engine output shaft is gripped by the smaller spring which transmits power to the transmission shaft. In neutral the gear selector causes a plunger to descend and engage a tab on the end of the spring. The spinning action of the engine unwinds the spring and the connection between the spring and engine output shaft is lost. Note that the clearance between the spring and the shaft is very small when in neutral. The engine should only idle in neutral for 10 minutes or less. Long idle times will cause the spring to overheat and develop slippage. If this occurs the spring will need to be replaced.
small spring.jpg
In reverse mode, a second spring engages the planetary gear drum and causes the propeller shaft to reverse its direction of rotation. Because reverse is used less often and the spring is larger it is unlikely to be damaged. Damage is most likely to occur from overloading the transmission when in reverse.
large spring.jpg
There are 3 possible issues causing your problems.

1. The wrong oil is being used in your engine. It is important to only use SAE 30W oil rated for use in diesel engines. Use of a multi-weight or synthetic oil will give rise to slippage in the transmission. If this is the case I suggest you consider flushing the oil from your engine with 3 quick oil changes limiting the engine use time between changes between 5 and10 hours.

2. The plungers in your gear selector mechanism are worn and not engaging with the tabs on the clutch springs. Easy to inspect but fussy to repair. Try rotating the engine manually selecting the various gears to see if the selector is engaging with the springs and causing the shaft to spin in the proper directions as well as selecting neutral.

Remove the gear selector and see if the two plunger tabs are in good condition or worn. Albin Motor can provide new plungers if necessary.

3. In my experience the spring most likely to wear is the smaller one that connects the engine output shaft to the motor. In this case you will need to remove the transmission and replace the spring. Before removing the transmission make sure to place it in neutral and rotate the engine manually to ensure the spring is free from engine output shaft.

Before removing the transmission replace two of the upper bolts with 3 inch long 5/16 inch bolts with the heads removed. These will support the weight of the transmission as you slide it back from the engine and will also help suport and align the transmission when you put it back together.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Hull No. 1013, 1971

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”