• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A few random maintenance questions

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

AlbinOhhh
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Arizona (not much water here)

A few random maintenance questions

Post by AlbinOhhh »

2001 28TE 300hp Yanmar w/ZF transmission

Out on my “Great Loop” tour on my new “used” boat.

1) oil down about 1/2 way from “full” to “fill” on a cold motor. I’m about 43 hours from a scheduled oil change. Or ~4 days at trolling speed for me. Should I top it off, or just watch it as I’m close to a change?

2) I have no clue what the maintenance schedule for the ZF tranny is. Any hints? What oil does it use?

3) anyone know if the deck rails are bolted through, or just screwed in. I think one vertical stanchion may have a small leak during heavy rain. I don’t want to start to fix it and make it worse.

If you read this and want to follow my progress I’m at

GreatLoop.Substack.com

Thanks for any help!
:!: Looking for my mid-life crisis in my 60’s…
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: A few random maintenance questions

Post by Nancy »

Caveat: I'm not a mechanic.

1. If I had changed the oil, I would watch it at this point. But I would also try to figure out why it's down.

2. We change the transmission fluid on our ZF80 every two years. We use Valvoline DEX/MERC ATF. Filter should also be changed. We will keep the old one and clean it for the next fluid change.

3. Yes, stanchions are through-bolted. See this thread for starters. viewtopic.php?p=91000&hilit=stanchions#p91000

The search function in this forum works pretty well. :)

Congratulations on starting your trip!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Palm Coast, Florida

Post by Norseman »

1) Normally you shouldn’t have to add oil between the 125 hour service.
2) I changed tranny fluid and filter once a year as per the manual, the type of fluid should be DEXRON 3 / MERCON ATF
3) Which stanchion is leaking? (Can’t remember that any of them leaked while I owned the boat.)

Did Chris give you the complete library of maintenance manuals manuals as well as the spreadsheet service records
since the boat was new? Lots of useful information there.
Good luck on the Great Loop adventure.
2001 28TE, 6LP-STE, 1,337 hrs, 19X18 four-blade wheel.
AlbinOhhh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlbinOhhh »

Norseman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:50 am 1) Normally you shouldn’t have to add oil between the 125 hour service.
2) I changed tranny fluid and filter once a year as per the manual, the type of fluid should be DEXRON 3 / MERCON ATF
3) Which stanchion is leaking? (Can’t remember that any of them leaked while I owned the boat.)

Did Chris give you the complete library of maintenance manuals manuals as well as the spreadsheet service records
I got all the manuals and they can make my head spin with the info in there. I’ll never understand why manufacturers don’t give you a “cheat sheet” on Page One for every product noting the basic maintenance.

As to why the oil is down, who knows? Maybe because most of my running at at 6-7mph and .8-1.5mpg. I try to keep the pressure gauge in the center spread. I also “run” the boat for a time every day.

As to the stanchion, it’s the one by the galley.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

AlbinOhhh wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:58 am
Norseman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:50 am 1) Normally you shouldn’t have to add oil between the 125 hour service.

I got all the manuals and they can make my head spin with the info in there. I’ll never understand why manufacturers don’t give you a “cheat sheet” on Page One for every product noting the basic maintenance.

As to why the oil is down, who knows? Maybe because most of my running at at 6-7mph and .8-1.5mpg. I try to keep the pressure gauge in the center spread. I also “run” the boat for a time every day.

I also ran at low RPMs but it didn’t affect oil consumption, to my knowledge anyways.
Make sure to use this additive too avoid sooting from the exhaust and a dirty transom
IMG_7475.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
AlbinOhhh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlbinOhhh »

Norseman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:21 am
AlbinOhhh wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:58 am

I also ran at low RPMs but it didn’t affect oil consumption, to my knowledge anyways.
Make sure to use this additive too avoid sooting from the exhaust and a dirty transom
IMG_7475.jpeg
Running Stanadyne in my fuel
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

Running Stanadyne in my fuel
It may be good stuff, but I know the Diesel Kleen cut the soot 90 % when I started using it: Before I used it the transom and the aft Port side was black from soot, after, not so much: Look for pictures on the thread about your boat.
AlbinOhhh
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by AlbinOhhh »

Rechecking the oil today and I must have misread it yesterday. After sitting all night, I’m about 1/4 the distance behind full & fill, not 1/2.

I did not do the last oil change. At this time I’ll not give any worry, but will check it regularly.

Not getting any smoking on the transom.
Norseman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Norseman »

I did not do the last oil change.
Uh, you didn’t change the oil, or someone else change the oil for you?
I am happy to help if you have any questions, I owned and maintained this boat for 5 years
And know it inside-out.
Contact me on PM, email or phone if you need anything.
954foursixfive4116

Return to “Albin Maintenance”