• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 36 double cabin - generator

Sandy

Albin 36 double cabin - generator

Post by Sandy »

Hello everyone. I am a first time poster and a new (almost) owner of a 1979 36' Albin double cabin trawler. The boat is going to go to survey next Thursday and hopefully I will be an owner shortly there after.
The boat had, at one time, a generator which was removed following a failure by the current owner (now deceased - I'm buying from the widow) and no one seems to know how large and what brand it was. Although the brand doesn't really matter as I will most likely have to replace all the controlsanyway, I would like to know what size to look for. Also if anyone has any experience with installation problems/solutions or any tips or advice I would appreciate what ever you can tell me. Thanks for any help you can provide.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

I doubt if your AC needs are much different from those of my 32. I have a 6kw Norpro which is far more than I need. Had I known better I would hve gone with a 5kw, maybe even less.

I also have a 34' 5th trailer & get along OK with a Honda 2000 for that though I cannot run the air with it.

With the 6KW I can run the air, the water heater, the charger the microwave all together & the genny is barely breaking a sweat.

You could get away with a 5kw no problem, maybe even a 3kw or a 4 if you keep track of what is turned on at any point in time.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Sandy,
Welcome to the group and good luck on the survey. We all know that older boats can have problems but hopefully nothing major. That is a good looking and very popular boat.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Joseph Matlaga

Post by Joseph Matlaga »

I've got a 1978 36 albin trawler I'm rebuilding, with an inverter.I know this won't support an a.c. system so a generator is also in my future.I know bigger isn't better. The gen has to be loaded over 60% otherwise carbon fouling results and an early demise.
diversion
Mate
Mate

Genset

Post by diversion »

I have a 36 Albin and installed a 3kw Phasor. Runs my 16000 BTU air conditioner and asseceries just fine. The electrical panel for the 36 is only rated at 30 amps so not much sense in getting more genset horsepower.
Boatmon

Re: Albin 36 double cabin - generator

Post by Boatmon »

Not sure if you ever got the answer that you where looking for?

Our 82 A36 has a 5kw Westerbeke, that per the surveyor will run both Cruise-air units and all of the electronics so long as things are started one at a time. (with the full load at once it has a hard time keeping up) He called it "the little genny that could" :)
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Albin 36 double cabin - generator

Post by jleonard »

My 43 came with and still has a Westerbeke 4.4 kw. Most of the old Albins had a Westerbekes.
IF I were to change it would be to a Northern Lights 5kw.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “36/37/40/43”