• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Great Gunn Beach, Moriches, NY

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Great Gunn Beach, Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Will be on the hook Saturday afternoon and for the overnight in the cove at Great Gunn Beach which is about 1 mile west of Moriches Inlet on Fire Island. Heading east at all this weekend Gery?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
gerygarcia
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by gerygarcia »

Rob
My wife's parents are in town and probably wont be going that far east this weekend by boat :(

Maybe next time.

Gery
Resolution 28TE
Gery, Anne, Marissa and Gabby.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

So last weekend we leave Sunday morning from our LI South Shore Get Together at Watch Hill in pea soup fog. This Sunday we wake up on the hook at 6AM to crackling thunder, lightning and rain. They forecast chance of t-storms around mid-night but never forecasted the day of weather we had today, damaging winds & lightning, funnel clouds, hail, etc.. Atleast I'm in the claims adjusting business :D After the 1st break in the weather around 8AM we pulled anchor and came in. I was just finishing cleaning the boat when the next portion of the crackling storm came thru. Sundays are becoming more work than Mondays :cry:

Anyways, it was a good night, had 4 boats raft up with us during the day. Here's my youngest attempting to rendezvous every gull in Moriches:

Here's a shot of my parents riding off into the sunset after cocktails and bbq aboard TOY-RIFIC:

Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Really nice pictures Rob...
I had family things to do Saturday but was planning on getting out today. Wow did it turn out to be a bad one. Lightning and rain was the weather and with lots of both. I made it as far as getting to the boat to prep for the day but never got out.

I have also never been to Great Gun, it it the spot on the map below ? I will have to try soon.

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Yeah I remember you had things going on this weekend and next. That's Great Gun. My green arrow points to the docking areas. Between the blue arrows is the ideal cove for anchoring, for the day or overnight.

The cove is deep (up to 20ft), and does not connect to a channel so the only thru traffic is the occasional small outboard or a PWC. The current flows nicely through there and at the end of the incoming tide you get the nice cold clean ocean water. It got as cold as 67 degrees on Saturday and at low tide can be 10 deg warmer. This is my favorite spot for anchoring and diving for inspecting and cleaning the bottom.

Saturday was perfect weather and there were maybe 12-15 boats on the hook with only 3 staying overnight so it's not an overly crowded area either. The docks can get crowded and can be loud at night as there is no town staff, they leave in the afternoon. I did not mind it so much 15 years ago 8) . They don't offer water or electric on the docks anyway so what's the point.

I'm glad I had a non-boating commitment on Sunday beacause the day's forecast wasn't bad and the morning weather provided a short period of false hope. It's amazing how much more you actually enjoy an affair on a Sunday afternoon when you know you couldn't be on the boat anyway :D
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “Cruising”