• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Owners - Victoria, B.C.

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Two Lauries
Deckhand
Deckhand

New Owners - Victoria, B.C.

Post by Two Lauries »

We have finally bought our first boat - a 1988 Albin 34 foot trawler (double cabin). There are a few variations of this boat with different amounts of enclosure. The early ones started with a single helm and a canvas enclosure - sort of a 27 foot Albin on steroids. Ours is fully enclosed with an upper helm.
We had admired the old 25 and 27 foot Albins that we had looked at, but couldn't convince ourselves that we would be comforatble taking it on the longer voyages we want to take (Inside Passage up to Alaska eventually), especially with two kayaks up top. Our 34 has a double cabin layout similar to a 25/27, but everything is bigger and it has two heads. The 210 HP Cummins gets it cruising comfortably at 10 - 12 knots. And there is a bow thruster to aid with docking. We've only had it for two weeks and we've been out both weekends in the Gulf Islands. The Webasto keeps us toasty.
We're loving it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Two Lauries
1988 34 Albin Trawler
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Wow! If that's your first boat I can't wait to see your second one. :)

That is a great looking boat. Sounds like you did your research.
I'm sure you will be happy with it. Welcome aboard AOG!
Last edited by jcollins on Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Nice looking boat. Is there any sort of cockpit aft at all?
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Richard »

Just opened your post while sitting in the Empress Hotel looking out at the Harbor in Victoria BC

(Normally I am in Maryland but am here attending a conference)

Is your boat close by?

Welcome Aboard, you will love this forum.
Richard
Albin Owner Emeritus
Two Lauries
Deckhand
Deckhand

Albin 34 trawler

Post by Two Lauries »

Hi. Sorry the photo didn't upload properly. I'll try again when my usual laptop gets repaired (Dell "next business day service" is now at three days and counting).
There is no cockpit in this model. I guess it started out as a centre cockpit design, and the cockpit subsequently got incorporated into the main cabin (under the main cabin carpet is a fiberglass cockpit floor with non-skid and drains). It is a trade-off. I'd like a cockpit and a lazarette to store stuff in, but I have a large interior space and a large upper deck instead.
The boat is kept in a boathouse in Genoa Bay Marina, about 1 1/4 hours from Victoria. It's a bit of a drive, but the marina is a small friendly family-run operation, nestled in a beautiful little bay, and boasts a fine restaurant as a bonus.
Two Lauries
1988 34 Albin Trawler
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I just love that boat! Maybe one day
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

Your picture uploaded just fine. They all look like that when previewed in the forum. To seem them in full color and resolution, click on the image and it will come up in a different window.
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

Congratulations on the 'new to you' boat. I can't help but wonder if yours was the 'showboat' at the NY boatshow. I saw one there in 1988??, blue hull, like yours. This was not a very successful model for Albin. Production in various forms only lasted a few years before the hull mold became the basis for the very successful 32+2.

The 34 'trawler' as they called it, may be a bit of an ugly duckling in the N American market as a whole but should be extremely practical for your needs cruising in a cooler climate.

Enjoy many years cruising in that safe & warm enclosed cabin.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
Mariner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mariner »

I see the boat is still listed on Yachtworld. I looked at it as well as some others like it. What a unique boat. The placement of the galley in the forward cabin is odd, but I can see why, given that it's a modification of an earlier model, and the genesis for models after it that would have an open cockpit and helm.

The listing says it only has 400 hours. That's only 20 hours per year! That boat has seen virtually no use whatsoever. I've put nearly double that on our boat in just three years. Other than the typical issues associated with lack of use, that's probably quite the specimen, as it also appears that it was boathouse kept.

Nice find!
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

I found the listing on Yachtworld. Very nice!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Two Lauries
Deckhand
Deckhand

My new boat

Post by Two Lauries »

Thanks for all the replies.
I quite like the lines of the boat. The forward and down galley does seem odd at first but works out well.
The low hours on the engine were certainly a selling point for the boat. The boat looks to be in excellent condition. However, our surveyor found a soft spot on the upper deck (there had been a leak around a stanchion) and some rot in the stringers. All repaired to my and my surveyor's satisfaction before the sale was finalized.
Of course, there's always work to be done - improved electronics, a better anchor, and a Sea Wise Davit system will all be done before the spring.

Laurie
Two Lauries
1988 34 Albin Trawler
henryandsusan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: New Owners - Victoria, B.C.

Post by henryandsusan »

We bought our 34 double cabin about a year ago and love it! The layout is perfect for the two of us and an occasional visiting couple. We have experienced a leak and some core damage in the starboard aft section of the flybridge. Haven't quite determined the source; the water exits from the top of the aft starboard window. Any ideas would be appreciated.
We spent about a month bringing the boat down the Chesapeake and ICW to Fernandina Beach, FL and had a great time. Hope you continue to enjoy your 34 as much as we do.

henryandsusan
1988 34 double cabin

Return to “New Member Introductions”