• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

a friend looking for performance info info

jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

a friend looking for performance info info

Post by jleonard »

If anyone has any input per the request below please reply.
Thanks in advance.
Tony Athens [email] Forums Moderator Date: January 12, 2009 - 03:42 PM
Gentlemen:

Anyone out there w/ a Albin 31 (about 32ft x 12'4"), vintage around 2000 and has a single Cummins 6BTA 315/330/370? If so, I'd like some real life performance numbers ready to go fishing for a day or two..

Thanks Tony
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: a friend looking for performance info info

Post by jleonard »

TTT Anyone?
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Merry Kate
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Merry Kate »

Jay -

I think most if not all single Cummins 31TEs were the 6CTA8.3. Maybe there are 31TEs out there with twin 6B 315s. Can't believe an Albin has made it out to Tony in Southern California!

Ed
JeffM
Mate
Mate

Post by JeffM »

Hi:
My name is Jeff and I just joined this site. I am seriously considering purchasing a 31 Tournament Express this spring. I am in Southern California and having been talking to Tony Athens and Seaboard Marine about this. My discussions with him prompted his thread on boat diesel. In looking into purchasing a 31 TE, I did talk to one person who has an older one with a single 315 hp Cummins 6B. The claims 14 knot cruise at 2400 RPM and 20 knot max speed at 2800 RPM. Tony believes these figures are a bit optimistic. So we were looking for performance figures from others with this set up.

I am going to start a couple of other threads over the few days to begin to ask you guys a few questions about these boats.

Jeff Moerer
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I would think that a single 315 on a 31 TE would be quite a bit under powered pushing at least 14000 lb boat +passengers & gear. The 28's are almost 1/2 the weight with 315's.
I think there are a few running Cummins 470 on this board. As a recent owner of a 31 with twin 315's a few more horse power would always be nice. A bit more to maintain than I am used to though. ( and a bit more fuel too but not really that much more that my 250 hp out board drank)
I have never been on one running a 470 Cummins but I do think that would be the minimum power for a 14000 lb displacement. Just my 3 cents if it helps
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

JeffM wrote: In looking into purchasing a 31 TE, I did talk to one person who has an older one with a single 315 hp Cummins 6B. The claims 14 knot cruise at 2400 RPM and 20 knot max speed at 2800 RPM. Tony believes these figures are a bit optimistic. So we were looking for performance figures from others with this set up.

Jeff Moerer
I sold that boat to the original owner and actually had to talk him up to that engine. He was a sailor and just wanted an 8 knot boat. I wasn't happy about it, but a sale is a sale.

Once he got the boat and went out with his buddies, he wasn't so happy about the 8 knots. The boat had a hard time getting over the hump and on plane, and his dingy on davits didn't help. We ended up putting a "planeing board" on the transom to add to the waterline length and that at least got the boat over the hump.

I'd guess 14 knots lightly loaded might be real, but 20 sounds awfully optimistic. When I was selling my 31 (450 Cummins), one potential buyer had me take pictures of the gps and tach while running. Why don't you do the same, but up current and down current.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”