• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Does the diesel smell in the TE 28?

Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Does the diesel smell in the TE 28?

Post by Russell »

If you repower with a gasoline inboard you will be forever sorry. I had one in my last boat and I will never own another one. The engines are marinized automobile engines and they do the minimum to make them work in a boat. Everything rusts. Spark plugs and bolts shear off when you try to get them out. Even if it is fresh water cooled, salt water goes through the exhaust manifold and rusts it out from inside where you cannot see it. If it rusts through, salt water goes into the combustion chamber through the exhaust valves and destroys the engine. Rust can also block the cooling passages and overheat the engine. You have to pull them off periodically and inspect them. That is when the bolts shear off because they do not use stainless steel, but the block is iron anyway. For a few hundred dollars they could put on copper or stainless manifolds but they don't do it. Bilge water rusts the thin oil pan so you can develop an oil leak. Keeping up with rusting parts and ignition problems is a maintenance nightmare. The salt water side of the cooling system must be flushed with fresh water after every use. The gas engine does not have the torque or the safety of a diesel which seems to be to be the ideal engine for a boat. I have very seldom gotten a whiff of the diesel odor and that is usually at start up in the slip. Even trolling downwind most of the exhaust runs along the outside of the hull without entering the cockpit.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Re: Does the diesel smell in the TE 28?

Post by Mike »

We are in Annapolis off of Forest Dr and AlWAYS looking for a reason to go out (not that we have to look hard) You are more than welcome.We have a 95TE, with the engine box. It's like John's but with a hard top.We too have the Penisular.
Time Out Annapolis

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”