• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28TE fuel usage

Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

I need to chart my rpm's and speed.
My prop must be far different.

2800 rpm, I'm running 16-17 knots, and at 3000, I'm running somewhere around 21 kts.

3200 rpm around 23-24 kts if memory serves me correctly.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

fuel burn and a cetane question

Post by fairtide »

Thanks, mhanna, for the fuel burn information on your Yanmar engine. I printed the graphic material for future reference. It will be interesting to compare your experience with the data published by Mack Boring. While we are talking about fuel, the engine manual states that the cetane rating should be at least 45. Has anyone seen anything higher than a rating of 40 where they buy diesel?
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

Mariner,
Thank you for your help in posting.

Incase any one finds this of any help these are the performance charts I have made up for Maye Marie.

Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
mhanna
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sayville NY

Post by mhanna »

Terry our fuel usage vs rpm are off by 5-10%. The reason I ask is I will use yours if you have better data. I took my info from

http://www.yanmarmarine.com/products/product_lp.php

and had to literally 'read between the lines' to get rpm vs gph. I know there will be deltas with wind, weight and "barnacles" ...might as well get as close as possible with the static info.

Anyone have flowscan data for RPMs to verify ?

Matt
2001 28TE - Doghouse
Maye Marie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic River Marina Mystic Ct. Slipped

Post by Maye Marie »

Matt,
I am like you still adjusting my information as I run my boat this year. I have made a lot of runs this year in the six hour range and feel this is coming out pretty close in the 3000 RPM to the 3600 RPM range. I went thru the same interpolation as you and found it to be difficult. I enlarged the chart and used a drafting divider to come up with my numbers. I then have been tweaking them a little.

I have read on other threads like boat diesel .com that Yanmars numbers are pretty close. It is definitely a good starting point.

I am with you and would like to see some numbers come off the flow gauges.

I thought the same thing with the speeds you posted I think your on the conservative side compared to what I have been producing. But for now better to lean that way than the other if your cutting fuel close. I have been making some long Tuna runs and am very pleased with fuel burn.

I have the engine box so could be some difference there. I have been told the engine box models are a little more efficient with the numbers. But I think the juries still out.
Terry & Karen Ober
28 TE
Maye Marie
Mystic Ct.
driftaway
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 28TE fuel usage

Post by driftaway »

Gang,

Just ran a 2003 TE with 315 Y (80hrs at start) from NY to Norfolk then ICW to FL...
2 people + live aboard equipment/provisioning, full to 1/2 tank...
3000 rpm @ 13 to 14 knts with app 2 nm/gal, mostly flat or light chop
one day running 3200 rpm @ 17 knts with about 1.5 nm/gal

driftaway
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: 28TE fuel usage - couple of questions

Post by jcollins »

Did you run outside to Norfolk or down the Chesapeake?
What was your total trip time? (days and engine hours)
How many miles?
How many gallons of fuel?
Did you diary the trip? Would love to read about it.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”