• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 6LP Oil Capacity

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

RWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Petersburg, FL

Yanmar 6LP Oil Capacity

Post by RWP »

Sorry if this is an overly basic if not outright stupid question...but...I've spent some time searching and haven't come up with a definitive statement on engine oil capaicty. I am going to be doing the first oil change on this new motor before long...and I want to be absolutely certain I don't make any mistakes! The manual says total lube oil capaicty is 11 quarts and the pan capacity is 8.90 quarts. I assume that I should pour in 11 quarts...am I right?
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Yanmar 6LP Oil Capacity

Post by johnmurray »

Do not pour in 11 quarts! You can harm your engine if you put in too much oil.
Make sure to run the engine before starting the oil change procedure. (If the oil is warm it is much easier to get it out.) The procedure is to pump out (or drain if so fitted) as much oil as you can. Change the oil filter. Pour in the new oil, but do not put in more than you were able to take out. Better to put in just a little bit less than you took out. Check the oil level on the dipstick. Add as much oil as needed to bring the oil level up to the lower mark on the dip stick. Run the engine for a few minutes. Check the oil level again and add more oil as needed but make sure the level does not get above the upper mark on the dipstick.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

I agree with johnmurray.
When you pump out the "warm" not cold oil, (cold is damn near impossible), there is still nearly a quart in the oil filter, and at least that much left in the oil cooler.
Replace the oil filter, (messy at best), and if you care to, drain the oil cooler, (a royal pain in the neck, way down).
Many do not drain the oil cooler, and let that old oil mix with the new. I do drain it, and it is tough to get to and I have created a pvc drain tube to drain it into a container so it doesn't go all over the place.......(still does a little)
I buy 3 gallons of Rotella T 15W-40, and that usually is more than enough. (Wal-Mart's got the best price I've seen)
Yanmar also recommends draining and replacing orange/pink coolant (Dex-cool) every year. Another 3 gallons. (Wally's World is also the cheapest there too)
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
RWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Petersburg, FL

Post by RWP »

OK, very good tips...thanks so much. Yes, I know you don't want to overfill. I assumed the oil filter held about a quart but i hadn't thought about the oil cooler at all. I think I will leave that in there and not worry about it. I will change the oil yearly and will be surprised if I put more than 75 hours on the engine during that time. And yes, I have identified Rotella 15W40 as the oil of choice.

I have one of those Jabsco Porta Quick changers on order...the one with the garden hose fitting to screw onto the top of the oil dipstick tube. From what I've read, that's a pretty good system.
jumpjet231
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jumpjet231 »

Definitely don't overfill. I made the mistake of not measuring how much I took out with my Jabsco. I probably put in about 3qts too high. Luckily I only ran it once for a short period and pulled the oil back out. However, now I'm smokey and my Yanmar guy wants me to run at cruise for 4-6 hrs to burn off. Is 19knts too fast trolling for stripers? :?
2004 28TE
"Wave-off"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”