• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
te102056
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by te102056 »

I am considering purchasing a 1980 43' trawler from a widow. Two years ago, it surveyed for $150k. The lady is pretty desparate to get rid of the boat since it is located 1,000 miles from her home. I have a price now below $40k. There are 600 hours on the engine and less than 300 on the generator. Two lehmen engines. Up until three years ago, it was on the New England coast and only kept in water three months each year. The past three years has been in fresh water. New electronics installed three years ago. From the photos, I can see that the teak on the outside needs to be refinished. I am sure that it needs to be cleaned and painted on the bottom. It also has a upgraded heating system and has been kept heated over the past two years while not in use. I plan on keeping it in the fresh water lake. I am a complete novice when it comes to larger boats. I really like the idea of doing some boating in the large lake that I live near but, don't want to get caught in a money pit. The fact that the yacht has been sitting in the water for two years concerns me. Also, the fact that the motors have not been used is a real concern. The people who owned the boat took very good care of the boat while the husband was alive. But, once again, I am afraid of the unkown. I am willing to do much of the cosmetic work etc. but wouldn't do well with spending thousands on gas tanks, motors etc. Can someone advise me as to what I can expect?
Thanks
TheJudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: new member

Post by TheJudge »

My friend, you are about to embark on a journey like no other. First, let me disabuse you the notion about "money pits". All boats are money pits and the bigger they are the deeper the pit. That is why BOAT stands for Break Out Another Thousand. Now let's get down to business. Those Ford Lehmans are practically indestructable and the simplest design you can find. 600 hours on a diesel is nothing. Sounds like you are going to steal the boat. Get a good marine survey done. Do not worry about the boat sitting in freshwater for two years. What do you think it was designed to do? Most big boats spend their entire lives in the water. As long as it has a good bottom and has been recoated every so often with bottom paint then it should be fine. Slow down and do your homework. Find out the cost of insurance and putting that thing on a truck and moving it. Not cheap. Have you considered putting on a navigatable waterway? A boat like that is wasted on most lakes. Good luck.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: new member

Post by jleonard »

Where is the boat now? Where do you plan on having your home berth?
I bought a 40 4 years ago that had basically sat unused for 2 seasons, but hauled out and properly winterized the one season in between.
We worked on it over the winter and we spent 1 week on "vacation" in the early spring getting her ready for the 80 hour 10 day maiden voyage/shakedown to run her from Rochester, NY to Mystic, CT. It was not without incident, but all in all a great trip. Why have it trucked when you can have a nice cruise?
I answered some Lehman questions in the other area so I won't bore you again on that.
At $40 K it sounds like a steal to me.
You could re-tank it and re-power if necessary and still be miles ahead. If the tanks are sound, just filter the fuel better. The enignes should be fine.
Sound slike it will need more of your time than your money....and remember...it's a labor of love. I keep saying that to myself...one of these days I'll actuall believe it. LOL
Best of luck in your decision.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “New Member Introductions”