• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

teak deck windter sanding?

te102056
Gold Member
Gold Member

teak deck windter sanding?

Post by te102056 »

I have a 43' albin. Deck was varnished or something atleast three years ago. Much of it is coming up now. I really would like to just let it go natural. All of the teak boards have a thick cauk that comes up above the board. It would be difficult to sand down because of the cauk. Power washing not a good idea?
Also, I live in Kentucky and am planning on sanding all of the teak on the outside trim down. Will that cause a problem next summer or spring when I go to finish it out? Will the cold wet winter hurt the wood or color?
Thanks
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: teak deck windter sanding?

Post by jcollins »

te102056 wrote:I have a 43' albin. Deck was varnished or something atleast three years ago. Much of it is coming up now. I really would like to just let it go natural. All of the teak boards have a thick cauk that comes up above the board. It would be difficult to sand down because of the cauk. Power washing not a good idea?
Also, I live in Kentucky and am planning on sanding all of the teak on the outside trim down. Will that cause a problem next summer or spring when I go to finish it out? Will the cold wet winter hurt the wood or color?
Thanks
Hi TE,

I asked my wife, who is an antiques dealer, about this. Power washing is o.k. but be careful. The strength of the water can cut into the wood. It will also remove the natural oils. If you do this, replenish the oils with teak oil. Old school sanding is still the recommendation. Whichever you choose to do, don't leave the wood exposed all winter. Your wood will turn whiteish grey over the winter. Do the whole job now or in the spring. Clean, sand, oil, sand, oil, sand, varnish or oil. Whichever you prefer.
I do love the look of all the wood but I don't miss it. 8)
westrivertrawler

Post by westrivertrawler »

te102056 wrote:I have a 43' albin. Deck was varnished or something atleast three years ago. Much of it is coming up now. I really would like to just let it go natural. All of the teak boards have a thick cauk that comes up above the board. It would be difficult to sand down because of the cauk. Power washing not a good idea?
Thanks
Sorry this post is late, I'm a newly registered member. The reason the caulk is above the deck boards is bacause the pulp of the wood has been worn away either through powerwashing or scrubbing with the grain. If the caulk is significantly exposed, I would remove/replace a few screw bungs to see how much good wood remains above the screws. If you have many bungs missing and screws visible, then you will have to lower/reset/replug most if not all your screws (don't forget to caulk or epoxy each screw) . Then sand down to smooth wood. If the existing caulk is cracked or loose, you may want to start by cutting it out first, then sand smooth and recaulk. Leave the decks unfinished; oils and finishes equal slippery decks when mixed with water.

As for the rest of your teak trim, don't touch it until you are ready to apply the protective finish, otherwise you will be sanding it again later. Teak wood will grey quicker than you might think. The finish that is on it know, now matter what the condition, is providing some protection.
jakevr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jakevr »

Once you learn about your decks you will remove them. Google teak deck repair. Never power wash them and never apply any finish to them if you do you defet the point of teak decks
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Google teak deck repair
I was very intimidated when I read the internet reports of teak deck repair.
Howwever, I found it was far less work than thoe reports showed. Maybe that was because my decks were in better shape.
I agree..never power wash a teak deck. You will be sorry.
The caulking should stand a little proud of the wood. That helps make it non skid. I suggest caulking before sanding.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT

Return to “36/37/40/43”