• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Accessorizing an old 43??

Kokomo

Accessorizing an old 43??

Post by Kokomo »

We just bought our new 1981 43. We sure would appreciate some advice from other 43 Trawler owners.

What size and types of primary anchors have you had good luck with?

Dinghies - what is the most dinghy that fits into the space on the aft cabin top.

Steadying sails - does anyone have the dimensions and a source?

Does anyone have any idea why the sampson posts are not the same height? Too wierd.

Thanks for any help

Jim
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Accessorizing an old 43??

Post by jleonard »

I have a 40. The previous owners had a 35 Delta with 80 feet of chain. We went to all chain, but after the first season I removed the 35 and went to a 44 Delta.
That works good provided I lay out 7 to 1 or better chain. I'm still a Danforth fan though. I have a 22 deep set mounted at the bow as a secondary, but I plan on getting a larger Danforth or a Fortress.
I sketched up a steady sail for mine, but after reading lots and lots I have decided I am not going to bother with a steady sail. I'm going to say it's probably 3 to 1 that say a steady sail on these trawlers is useless. Since I'd have to do lots of rigging to set one up I decided against it. YMMV
Can't comment on the dinghy size. I have mine mounted aft on davits.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
jakevr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jakevr »

i have a 1981 albin 43, post photos of yours! im looking for a sail aswell, i have a 9ft boston sea squall im going to put on the aft trunk.. and i use a 40lb plow anchor but havnt anchored too much yet. my sampson post are the same height... post photos of them..
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Post by Veebyes2 »

I hang out with friends who have similar sized, & some larger, boats. Your cruising grounds will determiine the best type of anchor. Most of us here are big Bruce fans. They set easily & reset again after a windshift without getting all clogged up. If you consider this type look at the Bruce/Claw 44 & at least a boatlength of chain.

For dinghys, if you like an easy to row hard dinghy see if Sea Swan is still around. I have one. 20 years old, still going strong. For a replacement I'd go more for stability & capacity now. Check out [url]http://www.livingstonboats.com/[url]
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)

Return to “36/37/40/43”