• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Wiring Diagram

hmoniv
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wiring Diagram

Post by hmoniv »

I am considering refurbishing the electrical distribution on a 1999 Albin 28' Tournament Edition. Any ideas or tips? Any ideas on getting a wiring diagram?

Thanks,
Hill
Reston, VA
Veebyes2
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bermuda

Re: Wiring Diagram

Post by Veebyes2 »

Sorry, but the lack of response should be a clue. There is NO standard wiring diagram for the 28, or any other Albin. Follow the wires.

Past the basics of engine harness & lighting, pretty simple, everything else will be after build & as per how the 3rd party installer put it in.
1996 A32 'S' Type
Bermuda

1986 A27AC 1986-2000
34' 5th wheel trailer
VP9KL (IRLP node #7995)
hmoniv
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hmoniv »

Thanks for the feedback. I came to the same conclusion quickly, though I did get some helpful information from Mr. Lou Grimm, owner of Chesapeake Yacht Sales in Deltaville. One possibly great piece of information is that Seward Products provided the fuse panels to Albin. There's a possibility that they could supply a panel with circuit breakers vs fuses. It may be crazy to replace the entire panel on a 10 year old boat, but I'm weighing the options.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

There is a technical specifications bulletin for the 28 in the document library. If you become a supporting member you'll have access.

Welcome to AOG!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
hmoniv
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hmoniv »

Nice to be with you. What a great website you have! I just donated and will check out the document library when able.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

hmoniv wrote:Nice to be with you. What a great website you have! I just donated and will check out the document library when able.
Received! Thanks Hill. You'll have access in a few minutes.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

If you are talking about the fuses in the helm panel switches, I would not bother making a change. The fuses almost never blow and you just need to keep a few spares on board. The work and expense of changing that out would never be justified in my opinion.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

hmoniv wrote:I am considering refurbishing the electrical distribution on a 1999 Albin 28' Tournament Edition. Any ideas or tips? Any ideas on getting a wiring diagram?

Thanks,
Hill
Reston, VA
Hi Hill,

I see you posted this a while ago but, as I'm in the middle of rebuilding my helm and rewiring portions of my 1997 boat I'd be happy to take a crack at any questions. I've been crawling over and under everything, may be able to tell you where SOME of the wires go.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
driftaway
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by driftaway »

Hello,

Just bought a 2003 28 Y315 and brought her back from LI, NY to the Chesapeake. Great run, love the boat.

Working out wiring. Found factory dedicated wire (by passing battery switch) from house bank to helm panel via large fuse that powers a buss bar that in turn powers helm panel including the three bilge pumps (not a bad idea). There are three large red original wires on this buss bar. One powers the helm panel in the vicinity of the bilge pump switches. One brings power up from the house battery via the fuse. One probably goes to power the float switches on the bilge pumps (I hope?).The previous owner had attached a couple additional electronic items to this buss bar instead of the one just below it (which does go through the battery switch). That was easy to correct.

At this point I have two questions. There is a yellow wire with it's on in line 15A fuse that leaves this always hot buss bar and heads back into the wire bundle. I have not been able to trace it. Second question, should the entire helm panel be powered via this bar bypassing the battery switch or only the bilge pump portion?

Great boat, great group...

Thanks
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

Only the items that must stay on all the time should be on that unswitched bar. It can save you a dead battery or even a fire if something shorts out when you are not on the boat. For example I do not remember if I turned off the Nav light switch on the helm panel when I left the boat this past weekend but I know I turned off the battery switch as I always do, so it saves me a trip back.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
driftaway
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by driftaway »

Identified the "yellow" wire on the always hot bus bar. It was the "sustaining" power for the stereo just keeping the clock set...
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

I have a question on the charging system . I am waiting for my 94 -28 that I am in the process of buying . Boat is receiving some repairs for condition of sale ,and I am 600 miles away . Does the alternator charge both battery's at the same time or does it just charge the one that is selected on the battery switch , OR does the switch have to be set to both to charge the two. Is alternator not big enough to do two at same time ? Also is the thruster going to one or both battery,s and same for windless ?
I was having a couple of cold ones with a friend ,who is also a electrician and boat owner and he started firing all these questions at me . He tried to redesign it and me spending a couple a grand and he hadn,t even seen the boat yet . He called it the way boat builders should wire a boat . { his electrical looks like he rewired the shuttle with all the extras he put on } You gotta love tradesman and friends .
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Russell »

As I understand it the alternator will charge whatever battery you have selected with the battery switch. What I do is select both batteries whenever I am operating the boat so both are used for starting and both get charged. If I anchor for the night I will select one battery and keep the other in reserve to start the engine. When I leave the boat I turn off both batteries but the shore power operated battery charger will still charge both batteries. It is suggested that you start the engine with each battery singly once or twice a year just to make sure they are in good condition. You probably do not need to make any changes in your wiring but if you have a knowledgeable buddy he may be able to make some improvements, especially if a previous owner made some poor modifications.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”