• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

anchor roller loop (keeper)

special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

anchor roller loop (keeper)

Post by special k »

with my 2002 28 te the anchor roller on the pulpit has no ring or keeper to keep the line from slipping off the roller.
presented a problem for me with it slipping while swinging on the hook and upon retrieval.
also my windlass slips letting out line while at anchor so i have to cleat it off when overnighting or anchoring in current & wind.

any thoughts albineers?

thanks.......mk
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: anchor roller loop (keeper)

Post by special k »

was looking at some pix of others and saw a ring looping over the anchor attached to the roller bolts.
something i can find retail or custom made item??
looks like what i need.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

If you look at the picture I posted under the "Bow Pulpit" question, you can see that mine did not have a keeper either. That photo was taken before I replaced the anchor roller. I complained to Ken Hilton at Standish Boat (dealer) and he told me that Albin used the wrong roller and replaced it after my first season. You should give him a call at 401-624-4075. I'm sure they will have the correct part # for you.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

I'm not sure about the roller but it's pretty much standard procedure to secure your anchor rode and not allow it to pull off the winch over long periods of time. ( ie. over night )
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

Chief, I agree the windlass shouldn't be used as a bitt, however as far as I can tell that leaves me having to run a line attached to each forward mooring cleat as a bridle and somehow secure the rode to this - I guess putting a bowline on a bight into the rode and using a honkin' big carabiner or shackle to attach the rode to the bridle would work but it's an annoying workaround. I'm just not ready to take down the headliner in the salon to install a backing plate for a real bitt to clutter up the foredeck.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

From an old post of mine...

I found a photo from my sea trial of the windlass setup. Doesn't tell you how they did it but should give you some idea of how it went together. Let's see if I can post the photo...

This is where I tie off my anchor when staying on the hook for any length of time.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joe.baar »

Doug,
Thanks very much for the photo, this gives me excellent ideas. My windlass is a Lofrans Dorado which I believe has a taller and wider profile than the one shown here, but I'm pretty sure there's room for a cleat like that nearby - and no removing the headliner or messing up the foredeck with more things to trip over. Thanks again.
(former owners)
Ballard
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

Here is a picture of the arrangement in my boat.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

that is what i would like to install on mine. wonder if i can find it retail or need to have it made?
probably the latter.
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joe.baar »

special k,
The roller and support shown in John Murray's photo is most likely a Windline model URM-2 available from Defender or Fisheries Supply, among others.
(former owners)
Ballard
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by special k »

ok checked defender and the term for what i need is a bail. all they offer is complete roller assemblies so i guess i will check into having one made
thanks all!
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joe.baar »

special k,
Sorry, I misunderstood your question. You're probably right, someone can fabricate a bail easily - not me, I stay away from stainless steel. But, I just took a poorly designed home-made ss anchor in to a local fabrication shop for rounding off the end of the stock and re-boring the shackle hole in 1/2" stainless. This cost about $49 including tax, just to give you an idea of pricing. I would think you could get a bail made for $20 or less. The holes at the ends of my bail fit a 3/8" bolt loosely, and the bail is about 2 3/8" wide at the mouth. Be sure to measure your own channel for width at the roller, though.
(former owners)
Ballard
johnmurray
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by johnmurray »

The roller and bail came with the stock boat when I purchased it new. I assume the selling dealer installed it. I added the windlass later.
John Murray...Albin 30FC..."katie G"...Ottawa Canada
REBMystic
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by REBMystic »

DougSea wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:57 pm From an old post of mine...

I found a photo from my sea trial of the windlass setup. Doesn't tell you how they did it but should give you some idea of how it went together. Let's see if I can post the photo...

This is where I tie off my anchor when staying on the hook for any length of time.
HI Everyone. Not sure a reply to this old post can be seen, but I'll give it a go. So I am getting familiar with my TE31 and to my surprise there is no cleat right next to the windlass. What is the "standard" way to tie off my anchor line? I don't have a full chain rode, so doing a bridle is probably not standard. I see the small chocks on the pulpit. Do I lead the anchor line through those to one of the bow cleats?

And related question - good thoughts on securing the anchor while underway?

Thanks for your help. Just trying to understand the intention and use of the original design!

Rob
- Rob
2001 Albin 31 TE
"Time On The Pond"
Ben423
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Two Harbors

Post by Ben423 »

I would not tie a knot in the anchor rode. It'll be near impossible to untie and it won't go into the windlass. A good way to solve this problem is to tie or splice a short length of rope into a loop, then use it to tie a prusik knot (https://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/prusik-knot) onto the anchor rode. Then you can hook or shackle a bridle into it and tie the ends of the bridle into your two bow cleats. It's never a good idea to use your windlass as a mooring bitt.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”