• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Finding the right 28TE

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Alan-S
Swabby
Swabby

Finding the right 28TE

Post by Alan-S »

My stepfather is purchasing an Albin 28TE in the near future. We have been searching for about 6 months now. We are having a difficult time finding the right boat for the right price. Mostly have been searching 2005 and newer boats.
The boats that we have looked at that looked like good deals have been in horrendous condition (oxidation, rusty/leaking portholes, etc.) and the nice ones are priced much higher, in fact the price range has been between $89,000 and $149,000. Ironically the boat that we have decided to make an offer on is across the cove from us. They are asking $129,000. It is a 2006 with very low hours, full electronics, autopilot, awlgrip, etc. Has everything we want except for the generator. The boat is immaculate and we spent a few hours on a sea trial this past Saturday.
My family keep boats for a very long time. Still have a 1966 Whaler and recently sold a 27' custom deadrise from the '50s. I just want to make sure that we are paying fair market value for the boat. NADA is a joke and don't expect to pay $69,000, but I would like to have some perspective on what people are actually selling these late model boats for.
FYI, I am a tournament inboard ski boat dealer and am inexperienced in the purchase of a niche boat like the Albin. My stepfather has a lot of confidence in my opinion regarding this purchase and want to give him the best advise possible.
Maybe someone on here can chime in with some assistance?
I look forward to being a part of this great online community! I am Alan-S on various other boating forums, where I am a lot more tuned into the market.
Alan-S
Swabby
Swabby

Re: Finding the right 28TE

Post by Alan-S »

If Al O Fish US reads this..... Great buy, you beat us to her!
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

we bought our 28te last july after looking for a year. we found a 2002, 300 hours and in perfect condition.
the model year seemed to make little difference in the 02-05 vintage and we found one offered by the owner directly and that made negotiating much easier. i had one broker, who was well aware of my price-point not even forwarding my two offers. guess what? that boat is still for sale a year later.
i too plan to keep the albin for many years and wish you well with your quest.
cheers! mk
Tuxedo
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Tuxedo »

Yachtworld has a database of prices boats actually sold for. Since you are somewhat in the business, maybe you know a fellow dealer who is a member of Yachtworld, or could ask Yachtworld for a sample query. You could then use the data as the basis for a offer.
Tom
Albin Owner Emeritus
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Allan - S,
Welcome to AOG (and your step-father)
Albins hold value. We've talked about that before around here. You can always find an owner that has to get out from underneath a loan and is selling cheap. On the other hand, there are owners that have invested time, effort, and energy into their boat and have expectations of a higher price. You mentioned your in the business so I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir.
The Albin oxidation problem is in your favor when it's time to negociate. Mine was terrible. But, after spending some time and money it came back to life. The previous owner told me over the phone that if I was into shiney detailed hulls this was not the boat for me. Everything was perfect except the hull. Beautiful interior and well maintained. His price was the price. If I didn't want it there were others out there looking. He was not in a hurry to sell. Of course that was a few years ago when the market was high. Now, even though it's coming back, the deals are out there. 129k is about in the middle price range.

Once again, Welcome to AOG. Don't forget to stick a pin in the map and put a burgee on the bow.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Alan-S
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Alan-S »

Thanks everyone. We came to an agreement on a price! Deal is still contingent on a second sea trial and a survey. I am confident that everything will go smoothly, pun not intended. The bay was glass on our first trial, thus the 2nd sea trial.
Alan-S
Swabby
Swabby

Post by Alan-S »

2nd Sea Trial went great. The survey went well also. The surveyor told my step father that the boat was like new with 2 exceptions. I was not able to attend the inspection so I am going off of what my step father has told me.

1. Sea water pump was not working for the washdown. non issue.

2. There was a quarter sized ding in the keel. Don't think its an issue, however, my stepfather said it was through the gel coat and looked like wood. I was under the impression that a 2006 TE did not have the cored hull? Or is he mistaken by the damaged fibers in the glass? The surveyor says it is a non issue, so I assume the latter, but I am curious.

Thanks,
Alan

Return to “New Member Introductions”