• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Sailor Thinking of Making the Switch

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
imagine30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Newport, RI

Sailor Thinking of Making the Switch

Post by imagine30 »

Wife and I have been sailing a Pearson 30 for the last 20 or so yrs and are starting to look at alternatives. Want to keep boating and don't have to go fast. We cruise So. New Eng. for anywhere from a week to 2 weeks. Have recently looked at an Albin 27 aft cabin and we were very impressed in the space provided by this small boat. Interested in any feedback I can get from current owners re: things to look for. Especially engine make and size preferred. Some of the boats seem to be underpowered. Appreciate any info and leads on good boats for sale.
J O'Brien
WHISKEY ONE
Albin 27 FC, 1986
Coasters Harbor Marina
Naval Station Newport
Marcy K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Cod MA

Re: Sailor Thinking of Making the Switch

Post by Marcy K »

Hello,

I think many Albin owners are former sail boat owners. We owned an A 27 for 10 years and just sold her last November and bought an A34. We would move aboard on July first and cruise the entire month - staying at anchor almost all the time. we were often in pretty snotty conditions - sometimes when boats larger than us did not venture out - 5' - 6' seas and 20 knot wind - no problem. We had the 100 hp Westerbeke and loved it - cruised between 8 and 9 knots sometimes much faster with the tide - often traveling from Westbrook CT to the Cape, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Cuttyhunk etc. We brought a 5 day cooler and got ice every 3 or 4 days and did just fine - had 4 group 27 deep cycle batteries and could stay at anchor for days with no problems. Try to get a larger engine if possible. The Westerbeke was economical too - approx 2.5 gals/hour. good luck. Marcy
Marcy K
A 34 Paumanok 1986
Cape Cod MA
fairtide
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fairtide »

The switch from sail to power has its adjustments, but the result should be that you will find more benefits than detractions. First, cruising sailboats usually have most of their space below, leaving the cockpit cramped. You can have a party in the 27 cockpit. The Albins have wheelhouse protection from the elements, so you won't need the yellow suit as often as when operating from an open cockpit. Sun can be included in the elements, so your checkups at the dermatologist should be less stressful in the future.

Sailing, when it can be done, is far quieter than motoring. Sailing, even when the engine is helping, uses less fuel because the aux engine may be of the 20 hp variety. Sailing provides a backup propulsion mode (when there is air movement). A single engine motorboat is dead in the water if there is a problem with the engine or the drive train. Some preventive maintenance is always a good idea, as so is a towing policy.

The "ride" can vary greatly from boat to boat, but the transition from sail to the A27 will not be too drastic. The 27 has a generous rudder, so docking will not be so different from when you brought your Pearson to the dock under power.

Getting used to not advising the crew, "ready about," and "hard alee" may take some time, but you can keep saying it. Of course, you will know from where the wind is coming, a good thing not to forget. Having sailed first, you will be a better than average motorboat operator. Go for it after giving it due diligence thought.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Getting used to not advising the crew, "ready about," and "hard alee" may take some time, but you can keep saying it.
Yes all of us "captains" are excentric :roll: anyway so no one will notice you saying (other) things that don't make sense.
:lol:

Happy hunting
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
imagine30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Newport, RI

Post by imagine30 »

Thanks for all the feedback. It is encouraging. May have some positive progress to report is a few weeks.
J O'Brien
WHISKEY ONE
Albin 27 FC, 1986
Coasters Harbor Marina
Naval Station Newport
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Don from Mystic »

My '83 A/C has the 4d61 which I think was the only game in town that year. It shows less than 1500 hrs and runs perfect. I have a 6kt cruise and burn just over a gal/hr!!! Parts seem to be an issue. Ive tried to squirrel away an inventory with mixed success (read the 27 forum re the waterpump, still not located).Lehman is no more- though Peugot parts are obtainable. The 83 has a few issues being a newbie that were resolved in 84 (rudder stem issues for one).

Albin uses balsa core in places, so look (or have a surveyer look) around port holes hardware etc for looseness and water impregnation. In my opinion these boats have survived well because of their superior construction - Best wishes with your "new" one......
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

Lehman is no more- though Peugot parts are obtainable. In my opinion these boats have survived well because of their superior construction -

Don't be afraid of a Lehman, Bob at American Diesel has everything that you may need for a Lehman available, including a new engine. And I agree whole heartedly, on the superior construction. The fact that these boats have survived thru the years of use, abuse and sometimes neglect and remain sound and sturdy and in some cases restorable is a testament to their original quality

Good luck in your search!
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thats welcome news if in fact the case. I just googled A/D and sent Mr Smith an inquiry re his general inventory for this particular model. Its just a guess but I suspect marinized FORD engines are easier to find stuff for than the French 4D61. The poster in the 27 forum (who Ive corresponded with privately) has still come up empty after a few weeks of looking for a pump.

I will be delighted to report back after I hear from Mr Smith

Don
"Steadfast"
27 A/C
Mystic Ct
Boatmon

Post by Boatmon »

Please let us know what he finds for you, we and two friends of ours (a 43&36) have all been quite impressed with his knowledge and service.
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mr Smith sent a thoughtful reply almost instantly. I will take the liberty of quoting from his response below:

"You are right the Peugeot engine is a great little unit. That is why we chose it for marinization in the seventies.
Unfortunately, they with drew from the North American market right after I bought hundreds of their engines.

It has been a tough time trying to support the engine, but unless my memory is bad, we did have fresh water pumps. Many of the routine service parts are in stock. There are some however, which just are not available.

I suggest that you phone my son Brian, in order to get the best update on the parts available for this engine. He is at 804-435-3107."

Encouraging news for owners with this power!

Thanks for posting the tip

Don
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

The MTOA annual rendezvous is scheduled for Mystic Seaport in July and Bob Smith usually attends if you'd like to meet the man face to face. He is a character.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks, will be sure to be there..
ctlionsden
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ctlionsden »

"MTOA"? Mystic Trawler Owners Association? Likely a dumb guess, but I am curious… what does the MT stand for?
Don from Mystic
Gold Member
Gold Member

M = Marine (I had to Google it too....)
RWP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Saint Petersburg, FL

Post by RWP »

MTOA started out as Marine Trader Owners Associatin. I was a member for the ten years or so I owned a 1979 40' Marine Trader sedan. One of the biggest advantages of membership was the monthly MTOA newsletter...usually the size of a magazine...that incorported the problems, solutions, etc. experienced by many MT owners. Last I heard, they had a digitized version of every single newsletter ever printed. Owners of other trawler brands began joining (MTOA being such a terrific boating community) and as the Marine Trader brand began to fade from the used market, I think they changed the name to stand for Marine Trawler Owners Assn. Around that time I sold my MT to its next loving owner and have paid no attention to MTOA since. If others have more recent information orif some of the above is incorrect, please respond so erroneous material gets corrected. Thanks.

Return to “New Member Introductions”