• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Corrosion at Bow thruster

lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Corrosion at Bow thruster

Post by lpbp »

Had a survey done on a 28 and it was noted that there was corrosion at the bow thruster base , Could some one explain what and how bad this could be , Also where would you go for diagrams of this unit . THX
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Corrosion at Bow thruster

Post by DougSea »

There are at least two different bow thrusters you could have - a Vetus 23Kgf like my 1997 or a Vetus 55Kgf (refers to thrust, not sure when Albin changed to larger stock unit)). And now as I type this I think some boats may have the 25Kgf. So, you'd need to figure out which one is installed and then a trip to http://www.vetus.nl/us/index.php should be some help.

How bad could it be? How bad is the corrosion? The thruster tunnel is below the waterline so a complete failure could be a very bad thing. I'd think your surveyor should be able to advise better here.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

DougSea wrote:There are at least two different bow thrusters you could have - a Vetus 23Kgf like my 1997 or a Vetus 55Kgf (refers to thrust, not sure when Albin changed to larger stock unit)). And now as I type this I think some boats may have the 25Kgf.
My 2000 has a model 50kgf.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

THKs for the feed back , The thruster is on a 94 so I take it it is the smaller model . The thruster did power up on the survey but was noted that there is corrosion at the base . which I take is on the inside from looking at the web site that was supplied here [THKS a Million for that one]
My problem is that I am a 10 hr drive away and I am hoping that this is just from age and condensation and not from water lying around the base from leakage .
AS it is Spring it is harder to get a hold of people ,with every body trying to get boats in the water . Sometimes 3 days to get a return call .
With the boat still on the hard , I was trying to get info on what it would cost to pull it and inspect and etc etc and what I should look at if it is out .
THX
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

If you need to make a call to Vetus, ask for Dave Barrett in the MD facility at 410-712-0740. Nice guy with a wealth of knowledge.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Would this corrosion be caused by the lack of an zinc?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

When I bought a zinc fro my Vetus...it was a small disc for $55.00 (how do they do it so cheap? No profit I guess!)
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

I don't believe the early, smaller models had a zinc, and then a lot of people didn't know when they added a zinc, so they didn't know they were supposed to be replacing one. The Vetus zincs as well as all the others on the boat are available at boatzincs.com for a lot less than from Vetus. See:
http://www.boatzincs.com/vetus.html
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cape Codder »

Thanks Ric.
Those are much better priced.
I get all other zincs from Boatzincs...never realized they carried them for the bow thrusters.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

i too order from boatzincs but i never looked for my vetus zinc there.

i bought the $55 disc from vetus and paid shipping to boot. ouch!
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

The first year I changed out mine I bought it through Vetus. The only difference I saw was that they gave you a new nut for the prop. That must be one pricey nut!! Boat Zincs is the way to go.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
lpbp
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by lpbp »

THKS for the tips on the thruster . I
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

The kit I got from boatzincs.com was the exact same Vetus card with the prop nut, 2 install screws, in the Vetus vacuum seal packaging for less than half what Vetus charges. Go figure.
Ric Murray

Wickford RI
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Boat zincs has free shipping over $100. So I ordered 2 sets of engine zincs plus the Vetus zincs for Matt Hanna and I and got the free shipping. So that's 4 sets of engine zincs plus the Vetus zincs for what 1 set of engine zings and a single vetus zinc would have been through Mac Boring & Vetus. Plus they ship same day and being in the Northeast I receive the shipment the next day.

The engine zincs have the threaded end to match the OEM thread spec. If you have replaced zincs at West Marine or the like, you may have a different thread size and may need to get the brass caps too. Here's what $104 with boatzincs got me:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RicM »

Ha, ha! I learned my thrifty ways from Rob! I did exactly the same thing and stashed a set for the next change. You know your going to need em' so 2 sets and free shipping makes a lot of sense. Plus shipping all that lead is expensive! I also saved the packing slip so I can just re-order the shebang next time....
Ric Murray

Wickford RI

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”