• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Yanmar 6 LPSTE Engine

Warren
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Glovertown NL Canada

Yanmar 6 LPSTE Engine

Post by Warren »

I am looking for an Albin 28 ...most boats seem to have the Yanmar 6 Lpste 300 or 315 HP installed
Heard rumers that there is a problem with the valves on these engines ..anyone out there to shed some light on this for me ...
Thanks
Warren
Cape Codder
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Yanmar 6 LPSTE Engine

Post by Cape Codder »

Warren,
You can probably do a search on this website or google regarding the Yanmar back in the late 90's.
My 2003 315 has been flawless, and I know of no others having issues.
I found this on google:
"According to Yanmar tech bulletin MSB 02-049 July 3rd 2002 changes including new exhaust valves were made on 6LP-STE & STZE models from s/n51640 onwards. The bulletin also shows a diagram from the Yanmar parts catalogue showing exhaust valve stem seals with diferent p/n as a "repair part". All 6LPA's have these parts fitted.
You can also search http://www.boatdiesel.com for more information on just about any marine diesel.
Bob
2003 Albin 28 TE
Santosha
OldDemps
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Francisco, CA.

Post by OldDemps »

Yanmar offered an extended warranty (+7yrs) and upgrade to the effected 6LP's, it was never a recall. I bought a 2000 28TE that the upgrade was never done on. Why I don't know, since it would have been a free enhancement. It cost $1500 to $5000 to upgrade the valve stem seals to the newer green seals. Two local Yanmar mechanic said the issue is overblown and the issue if present, would be easily detected by running the vessel overspeed at 3900+ RPM underway. The only difference between the 300 and the 315 is the valve stem seal upgrade. Yanmars are the best power option for the 28TE' IMHO then Cummin's, second. Here's an earlier post on the issue. viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2873&p=17335&hilit=valve#p17335
Currently boatless
Prior owner of
SKOL -1975 Albin 25 #2240
JOKA -2006 Albin 28TE Flush Deck
JOKA - 2000 Albin 28TE Gatsby Ed.
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

First several years there were valve seal issues. Mine was a 1999 and I did have the upgrade done at Mack Borings expense. There are some Serial Numbers or Model Numbers floating around that will tell you if the engine needs a upgrade. Basically my understanding is that engines that did fail, did so because they dropped a valve (#1 cylinder) and that basically can destroy the engine as they are not sleeved. Check around the forums for older post and if necessary go to boatdiesel.com and for $25.00 a year you can get tons of information on all types of engine issues. BTW I have had no issues with mine either before or after the valve seal replacement program.
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
Warren
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Glovertown NL Canada

Post by Warren »

Thanks to Cape Codder/Old Demps amds Chiefrcd fpr your help in obtaining info on the Yanmar diesel ..
Warren

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”