• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

battery charger related fire

henry robertson
First Mate
First Mate

battery charger related fire

Post by henry robertson »

wednesday i lost my albin 31 te and dock and lift to a really bad fire --the wildlife and insurance company both expect or suspect the bank charger. say it accounts for half of the at dock fires. i had one new battery ,of the three new ones, was not holding a charge very well. the charger was rebuilt by factory last year they suspect the charger overpowered the battery and overheated wires. boat from alarm to down to waterline was 35 min---wind was 22kts. had been offshore day before for a spring rengout which was great
someone posted fire on you tube --bad speller---title boat exsplodes--yes ex S plodes. i was at uscg training session-- got 911 page //bid--fire--lucy creek. that is my rescue resopnse area--arrived to find it was my boat--- hope it never happens to any of you as it is not plesant
hope this will help someone---have charging system anually --as required in florida to get safety inspection
henry :(
ps have ss bows and new cockpit sun cover plus new side screens and i glass also window screens--only thing not on boat--tan color-- offers?
henry
albin 31
StonePony
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cape Coral, FL

Re: battery charger related fire

Post by StonePony »

OUCH!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your boat. Sheesh, the double whammy, a first responder getting a page to your own address, its happened to me as well(a medical call, not a fire), but it doesn't make it any easier.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Wow Henry, that really hurts. But of course glad no one was injured.

Hope your insurance comes through and you get back out on the water soon.

Best of luck to you!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Henry,
So sorry to hear about this. I hope insurance takes care of everything. I did find the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyfZAjM5xLY
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Legacy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Boston, MA

Post by Legacy »

That's awful, sorry for your boat loss. Going to check my chargers now.
Rick
1998 Albin 35TE
"Legacy"
skye peak
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skye peak »

Henry, I thought that may have been your boat when I saw the Gazette picture.
I have the 35TE around the corner in Brickyard Ck, let me know if I can do anything
to help you out.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Henry: Just read about your fire and loss. Happy there were no injuries. Wish you a full recovery and quite action with the insurance company. Good information you have provided to us all to watch and check the charger annually.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

In the spirit of hoping some good comes from this I wanted to share a post I read a little while ago from by a gentleman named Bill Bishop. He's a professional marine electronics installer and he's got a blog called, appropriately, "The Marine Installer's Rant". This particular post is about battery chargers run amuck...

http://themarineinstallersrant.blogspot ... bilge.html

In re-reading the post I followed one of the additional links and read about a service tech killed by an exploding battery. I also found myself recalling a friend's story of a battery exploding during a jump start. As a result of hearing that I've been turning my head to the side as I make the connections to any battery I'm jumpstarting. I'd forgotten why I had picked up that habbit.

It just takes one battery gone bad, with plates shorting or boiling dry, toxic and/or explosive gas being produced and things can go very badly. I know I'll be looking into the specs on my charger to see if temperature probes can be added. I feel awful for Henry but I'm hoping this lesson isn't lost on the rest of us. Batteries of the size found on our boats have enormous potential energy yet we tend to view them as rather benign. I know I'll be much more cognizant of the risks going forward.

Henry - thanks again for posting your story.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Halcyon
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Halcyon »

Scary story, glad no one was hurt. There was a old Marine Trader that met the same fate in our local yard over the winter. So, moving forward, how do you check the charger? (Professional Mariner Protech) What should I look for? I replaced two of three batteries last fall and did not see anything attached to the batteries that could be a temp sensor so i guess my charger is not so equipped.

I am planning on replacing the third, house battery with two 6v golf cart batteries to increase capacity. would this throw the charger off?

Henry, do you have any pictures of the cockpit sunscreen? Any idea if it will fit on a 35? Thx TD

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”