• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 31TE - Intermittent Engine Rumble

lawrento
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Republic of Singapore Yacht Club

Albin 31TE - Intermittent Engine Rumble

Post by lawrento »

Hello AlbinOwners,
I've just completed a 120 nautical mile fishing expedition.
I experienced this Engine intermittent rumble short 1.3 seconds at 2,000 - 2,200rpm.
Back down engine to 1900 - 2000rpm for a short period and then back to 2150 to 2200 rpm ... engine still can carry on its journey.
Its happen at the start of the journey after 8 nm with full fuel tank, full water tank and 5 pax on board.... travelling at 12 - 13 nm average.
Its also happens at the return trip after 80- 90 nm ... Engine rumbles at 1.3 seconds range.
Strange when I push to 2400 rpm range for about 5 minutes ... experience engine rpm suddenly back down by itself.
Discourage, continue return journey within 2150 - 2200 rpm range with occasional engine rumble.
Also strange, every time, Engine rumble ... notice engine rpm goes 50 rpm higher.
What goes Wrong ?? Also notice, low engine oil alarm light came on ... ATF oil level low.
Pls advice ...
Thanks,
Lawrento
Singapore
RSYC marina
Albin 31TE.
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Re: Albin 31TE - Intermittent Engine Rumble

Post by joe.baar »

Lawrento,
Which engine do you have? Yanmar or Cummins or ?? Others will no doubt have ideas about this but we need some basis for speculation. And what, exactly, is a "rumble"? Thanks. Otherwise it sounds like a great trip. BTW, how much does diesel cost over there?
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
lawrento
First Mate
First Mate

Post by lawrento »

Hello Joe,
My Albin 31TE is using Cummins 450hp 6CTA model. with a 600hrs rebuilt engine Y2005.
Also have just been service 20 hrs running ago with local Cummins agent here. Trip before last experience very low fuel about 1" level of fuel left .... After total cleanse Fuel tank and change racor filter.
Refuel her back with fresh New Fuel to Full tank.
My version of Engine rumble is like a different vibration feel beside the norms.
FYI, Over here in Singapore, Disel cost S$1.59/litre or US$1.32/litre.
BTW, Is it normal my fuel usage is about 5.9L per Nm (average 2150-2250rpm/full tank 12-13Nm, return 14-16Nm) for this type of Cummins engine.
Cheers and Thanks,
Lawrento
Albin 31TE
Singapore
RSYC Marina.
lawrento
First Mate
First Mate

Post by lawrento »

Hello AlbinOwners,
Got a Mechanic to check.
It is Transmission leaks which leads to clutch slippage that cause a burnt odour ... also all those intermittent vibrations. Mechanic say Fault can be repair and service.
Cheers !
Lawrento
Best Bet 3
Albin 31TE
RSYC marina
Singapore.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Glad to hear you got it figured out! Nothing quite like an intermittent issue to drive you crazy!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”