• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Horn Location

Frank Bayers

Horn Location

Post by Frank Bayers »

Am looking for the horn location/access to on a circa '07, 28 TE Flush Deck. Needs to be cleaned or replaced.
thx, frank
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Re: Horn Location

Post by special k »

on my 2002 28te it is external on the radar arch.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Mine is starboard side just forward of the "A" logo.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

This year I moved our horn from front and center on the pilothouse up to the radar arch. Our boat ('95 engine box 28TE) has three 1 1/2"x3" plastic access panels inside above the windshield wiper motors, and the horn wiring - one yellow, one black - was right behind ("forward of") the center panel. I was able to extract about a foot of wire from the stupid harness before I had to cut it. The horn itself was attached to the underside of the roof overhang with 2 machine screws and a StarBoard wedge to keep the trumpet from collecting water. Once removed the unit is easy to disassemble. It's a Japanese knockoff of the AFI with 5 screws around the trumpet plate perimeter and a single screw on the back of the dome that keeps the works in place. There was some rust on the interior part that holds the magnet so I cleaned and Super Greased everything I could see. I did remove the diaphragm and after cleaning and greasing it most of the very fine paper gaskets disintegrated. I put them back as best I could, feeling this was a temporary repair. I also needed to twist and bend the tab that secures the magnet holder inside the dome just slightly because during its original? assembly the holder got cocked which prevented any kind of seal between the dome and the flat plate that holds the trumpet. I did fabricate a new and much thicker gasket for this joint. The horn now works better than before and it's much happier up on the arch. I think gooping up the depression where the single screw shows on the back of the dome is a good idea that I haven't gotten around to yet. I'd like a louder horn - probably powered by air - but that will need to await sale of some surplus electronics.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”