• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Where do I get parts for 1984 61 hp Lehman?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

valhallaboats

Where do I get parts for 1984 61 hp Lehman?

Post by valhallaboats »

I am having a hard time finding parts for my 1984 Albin with the 61 hp Lehman/Peugeot engine. Any company names or websites?
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Where do I get parts for 1984 61 hp Lehman?

Post by jleonard »

American Diesel Corp 804-435-3107
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Post by hetek »

Ah, the MIGHTY Lehman 4D61!

Depends what you need...

I've bought air filter elements from American Diesel, glow plugs from NAPA auto parts (Bosch), fuel and oil filters from my local marine supply (Hastings), glow plug timer from eBay (Bosch), raw water pump rebuild kit (Johnson Pumps) from pumpvendor.com and a new alternator from Spider Marine Electric (Prestolite/Leece Neville).

I've never really found a "one stop shop" but the parts are out there. Sometimes Google helps, sometimes the pencil scrawled notes in the 1984 owner's manual for cross-references works too (that's how I found the glow plugs).

For internal engine parts, I would look towards a foreign auto parts store for the Peugeot base engine that Lehman marinized. I think its used in an early '80's Peugeot 404 diesel car, but don't quote me. I'd have to check my notes to be sure.

- Jon B.
"hetek"
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
martingaf
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: honduras

Post by martingaf »

Talk to Greg at Bomac Marine, Georgia. he and Maureen are "ace". Greg has a wealth of knowledge and found me a 1984 700 hour motor that I fitted in Roatan. Purrs like a kitten. Greg also knows just about everyone who has parts or expertise with this motor. Not the cheapest source but a good experience the best I found. Water pump warehouse for the freshwater pump that some guys have trouble finding. I found the web very good for gaskets (be sure to get the correct head gasket there are 4!). The auto parts suppliers also have a lot of parts as does Ebay but you will need to go to several different sources. It is a 504 Peugeot 2112 XD90 engine. Shop manual is same as Volvo 21 A. Free online or i will send you a copy.
Do remember to torque the head down per Shop manual. The Aluminum head is the only tricky thing in this otherwise great engine.
Jcdexter
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Edgecomb,Maine

Post by Jcdexter »

I've been following this thread for a while now and found it very helpful. Can anyone tell me if they've found a source for thermostats and if so give me the source and part number?

Many thanks in advance.

Jack Dexter
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Well... Yes and no.

An exact replacement is tough - at least for me. I've tried several of the usual suspects but came up empty. What I did was to go to Rockauto.com and enter in the search fields for a 1976 Peugeot 504 with the 2112 cc diesel engine.

The reason I said "no" is that I could not find the exact temperature specified. I went with one that ends up about 5 degrees F hotter than spec. Basically, I went with the coldest one they offered. Not cheap though as it comes from Europe and shipping alone is like $20+. I ran it all last season with the new t-stat and it was fine - ran about 170-180 degrees, if I recall.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
Jcdexter
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Edgecomb,Maine

Post by Jcdexter »

I have just listed my 4D61 Lehman for sail on eBay. It was in my sailboat and I have repowered. It starts and runs fine but burns a lot of oil. We sail from Maine to the Bahamas and felt we needed something newer and with better parts availability. I'm asking $1995 but will accept the best reasonable offer. As far as I know it is OK except for a failing exhaust elbow and excessive oil burning but I can make no garuntees. I'm selling it for parts.

Jack Dexter
rwcoulter

Post by rwcoulter »

Does anyone know the correct operating temp for this engine? Mine runs around 175-180 until I really push it and then it will climb to 195-200. I've been told that 190-200 is good for that engine. The theory being that it needs to run hotter to cut down on smoke.
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Those are pretty much the numbers I get under the same circumstances.

WOT will get to around 200 degrees but I hardly ever go there (just to check WOT RPM's actually).

Cruising between 3000 and 3200 it will stay around 175.

I've never seen smoke while underway - just on cold startup (and never blue).
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
don123
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by don123 »

hetek wrote:Ah, the MIGHTY Lehman 4D61! . . . . raw water pump rebuild kit (Johnson Pumps) from pumpvendor.com
You wouldn't recall the model number of the Johnson pump used on the 4D61 . . . . would you?

My pump hasn't been wet for about a dozen years, so I think I'd better go through it before I launch :!:

Thanks!

Don
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Hi Don -

Here's some info I found from my invoice:

Qty Item SKU Each Subtotal
------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Johnson 10-24119-5MNK Minor Service KitJS 10-24119-5MNK $33.77 $33.77
Subtotal $33.77
Shipping: Priority Mail(R) $13.86
Bank Transfer Fee: Pay by Credit Card or PayPal (no fee) $0.00
Taxable Amount $47.63
Tax Total $0.00
Grand Total $47.63

Payment Type: PayPal

Store Location: http://www.pumpvendor.com

Comes with an impeller, shaft seal and several gaskets. No cover plate screws or wear or cover plates, though.

I replaced mine when I bought my boat because I figured I should know the condition of the impeller, just for peace of mind. My impeller was in surprisingly good shape so I put it in my "spares" box. Looked too good to throw away. The cover plate screws were a different story so I found some bronze metric screws and replaced them all. Pumpvendor offers a major overhaul kit also, I believe, and it includes everything but the housing and shaft but it's pretty pricey, if I recall.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

For a 2 litre Diesel to get the best out of it I would go for as near as I can to getting it to about 92oC. This will ensure a good clean burn without gunging up various other engine parts. To bring the temperature down a degree or two, try adding extra antifreeze to the engine coolant, as antifreeze absorbs and releases heat more efficiently than pure water, this assumes that the circulation pump and heat exchanger are in good order. Generally the hotter the engine the less fuel it will use for the same output.
don123
First Mate
First Mate

Post by don123 »

hetek wrote:Hi Don -

Here's some info I found from my invoice:

Qty Item SKU Each Subtotal
1 Johnson 10-24119-5MNK Minor Service KitJS 10-24119-5MNK $33.77 $33.77
Subtotal $33.77
Shipping: Priority Mail(R) $13.86
Bank Transfer Fee: Pay by Credit Card or PayPal (no fee) $0.00
Taxable Amount $47.63
Tax Total $0.00
Grand Total $47.63
Thanks Jon!

I found the pump model number and got the same kit from www.depcopump.com for a couple dollars less and they shipped it in a flat rate box for $5, so the total was less than $40

I am *finally* going to get my 27 aft cabin wet this summer - I bought it in Phoenix in 2003 (and it hadn't been in the water for several years when I bought it) and trucked it here to Biloxi. About the time I got the bottom done and a trailer built for it, Katrina came along and swept the house away - Luckily, I had moved the boat to higher ground!

We lived in the boat on the trailer for several months and then bought another house (on higher ground!) which we have been busy remodeling ever since. But, we're going boating this year for sure

The boat was previously used in San Diego and only has about 1100 hours on the engine. I've never heard it run, but I'll get it going here in another month or so. I put a brand new 3KW Kubota genset in it so we'd have A/C at night and that's never been started yet either . . . . though the warranty has expired long ago!

Did you ever repower your boat? I watched your video - Very helpful. No telling what other odds and ends I'll run into before mine is purring like yours

Regards,

Don
alphacarina@cableone.net
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

don123 wrote:...About the time I got the bottom done and a trailer built for it, Katrina came along and swept the house away - Luckily, I had moved the boat to higher ground!

We lived in the boat on the trailer for several months and then bought another house (on higher ground!) which we have been busy remodeling ever since. But, we're going boating this year for sure.
Holy cow!

You should have posted that in the "Living on a Albin 27" thread!

Sorry to hear of your home vs Katrina situation but at least you had "someplace" to go other than the Astrodome. Good to hear that things are getting back to normal. Looks like the Albin was your lifeboat there for a while!

We'll have to put your pump info in the files for future reference. Good find!

To answer your question, no, I haven't repowered. Yet. I have to keep telling myself "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It might be a little slower than I'd like (nope, it can't keep up with the big guys in their 28TE's) but I'll get there and have fun doing it.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
don123
First Mate
First Mate

Post by don123 »

Jon,

It looks like I'll be repowering before you do!

My 4D61 was completely frozen up. Not too surprising I guess, because it last ran in 2002. I bought the boat in 2004. I removed the glow plugs, filled the cylinders with Marvel Mystery oil and let it soak, trying to turn it over with a socket on the crank bolt every few days. After about 3 weeks of this, I eventually twisted off the crank bolt (Cheater pipe too big?) so I've decided to repower with a newly rebuilt Yanmar 4JH3-HTE. It's about the same size as the 4D61 (actually, a little smaller) and it's a turbo-intercooled 100HP. Watercooled ZF-45A gear with a 2:1 ratio. I'll have a few 'issues' to work out (engine bed spacing, 3 inch exhaust vs the current 2 1/2, etc) but it looks like a pretty straightforward swap to me. I have *no idea* where to go with the propeller. I currently have a 3 blade 17 X 11 Michigan Wheel, so I think I'll just get it repitched to 17 X 13 or 14 (whatever they can do) for starters and see where it goes from there. I'll buy a new prop before the next haul based on how that one performs

I'll bet this 'project' will take me most of the summer . . . . but it sure is good to be working on the boat again!

Don

Return to “Albin Maintenance”