• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Mounted fire protection (split from Insulated Plywood Partition)

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Fire protection

Post by DougSea »

RobS wrote:
joe.baar wrote:I'm still not sure why this partition was ever put there. It's just something else to clean and it obstructs access to the real stuff. Why would I not want to see the transmission from the battery compartment? I just don't get it.
Matt (mhanna) often (well, when he knows I will be around) travels with numerous cases of Corona's in that compartment. Wouldn't want to lose one to a spinning tranny coupler!
It does occur to me that, planning for the worst, you were to have a fire in the engine compartment, a partition would slow its spread, and if you have a mounted fire suppression system, make it more effective.

It also protects imported beer.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Re: Insulated Plywood Partition

Post by joe.baar »

Doug,
Excellent point about fires. About the second thing I did after we took possession was to put a gigantic Fireboy HFC-227ea cylinder down next to the engine - but maybe I should consider a second unit. I still like the wide open space.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
dkircher
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA USA

Post by dkircher »

I don't want to miss the fun here. I do like the solution for John's bilge issue (short of actually cleaning it!)... And, I understand the concern about damage to the beer cases.

Joe, how big is your Fireboy cylinder (which model) and where did you install it?

Thanks,

Dave
Dave
Former 28 TE Owner
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by joe.baar »

Dave,
Correction: the unit I purchased from Western Fire and Safety on Market St. in Ballard was a Seafire FD150M manual/automatic. I take it down to them every year and often get same-day service. I imagine the cylinder size is similar to the Fireboy MA2-125-227, which is 4"x15" and contains almost 10 lb of HFC-227ea. I'll check the numbers on Thursday and let you know.

The extinguisher is strapped to an extruded aluminum holder which is fastened, using a couple of u-bolts and some garden hose, to a stainless steel stanchion that supports the deck at the forward end of the engine. If I remember right, the stanchion is mounted on the port stringer and meets the underside of the deck just outboard of the engine box opening. I'll take some photos when I'm up there on Thursday and send them along, largely because this setup sounds much more crazed than it really is.
(former owners)
Ballard
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mounted fire protection (split from Insulated Plywood Partition)

Post by joe.baar »

About the fire extinguisher: more corrections, and photos.

What I have is a Sea-Fire FD150M, which the label says contains 6.5 lb of agent FM200 and is rated for a maximum of 150 cubic feet. The cylinder measures 5" diameter x 13" high and the detector/nozzle is about another 2" or so above that. The unit can only be mounted vertically and the attached photos show how I was able to attach it to the stanchion.

The stanchion's lower end does not rest on the port stringer but rather on a glassed-in leveling wedge on the inside of the hull just outboard of the stringer.

Sorry if this has caused confusion in the ranks. Also, it seems as if these last few posts might better be titled "Fire Extinguisher" as a separate topic -??
IMG_3146.JPG
IMG_3147.JPG
IMG_3149.JPG
IMG_3151.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
(former owners)
Ballard
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Mounted fire protection (split from Insulated Plywood Pa

Post by DougSea »

joe.baar wrote:
Sorry if this has caused confusion in the ranks. Also, it seems as if these last few posts might better be titled "Fire Extinguisher" as a separate topic -??
Good idea - Done.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”