• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

what's the yellow valve for?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

tomcat rio

what's the yellow valve for?

Post by tomcat rio »

top left side...just noticed it while surfing ads.
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I can't really remember where it goes, but maybe it's to the coil in the water heater to heat up the hot water?
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Denis wrote:I can't really remember where it goes, but maybe it's to the coil in the water heater to heat up the hot water?
You get the prize - bypass to the water heater (and soon I hope to the cabin heater as well)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Doug, where are you going to mount the heater?
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Denis wrote:Doug, where are you going to mount the heater?
Not certain yet. It depends on the configuration of the heater. I think the last one I looked at had the air-return on the unit itself and then 2 hoses for the hot air. I'd put one outlet low in the cabin and one at the helm. I'd probably try and keep the return down in the cabin, possibly under the starboard v-berth seat. Another possibility is for the unit/return near the end of the quarter berth and the cabin outlet forward - better air flow.

I just bought the boat last season and I have really crawled all over it yet to see where dead-space exists that I can look to reuse, both for mechanical things like this and for additional storage.
Doug
Sonny IV
tomcat rio

its not immediately obvious to me...

Post by tomcat rio »

...what the benefits of the hot water heater valve are.
easier to winterize?
leak islolation?
looks cool?
i'll be installing a new water heater soon so i would certianly like to know if its worth the relatively slight additional expense.
thx,
ed
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Certainly leak isolation would be a factor, and it does look cool. 8)

Shouldn't be a factor in winterizing since it's engine coolant that runs through it and that should be an anti-freeze mix already.

The interesting thing for me is...I know where the supply valve is (as shown) but where's the one on the return? Need to go look for that, otherwise my whole isolation plan is out the window.
Doug
Sonny IV
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

I don't think the valve is there to isolate anything, it's just like a switch to turn on the engine heat function for the hot water tank. Just my guess.
Former Owner of
1994 28'TE
"Red Stripe"
standishboat

Post by standishboat »

The purpose of the valve is to be able to isolate the engine freshwater antifreeze,that circulates thru the hot water heaters, heat exchanger system, in the event of a hose leaking or a faulty heater.By shutting off, this valve and the other one in the closed loop system,you are still able to run the engine until the hose or the hot water heater can be replaced. I hope this answered your question. Ken HiltonIII
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

standishboat wrote:The purpose of the valve is to be able to isolate the engine freshwater antifreeze,that circulates thru the hot water heaters, heat exchanger system, in the event of a hose leaking or a faulty heater.By shutting off, this valve and the other one in the closed loop system,you are still able to run the engine until the hose or the hot water heater can be replaced. I hope this answered your question. Ken HiltonIII
Funny that Ken (welcome aboard by the way!) posted this today. Earlier this afternoon I stopped down to visit my boat and found the second valve. It's kind of hard to see since it's in the front of the engine (which is in the back of the boat) blocked from view by the engine box.
Doug
Sonny IV

Return to “General Discussion”