• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Kudos on the New Site

Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kudos on the New Site

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Greetings All,

This is my first post here of what will be many I'm sure. First I can't say how happy I am to have found an owners group for Albin. While I did idle about the yahoo group it wasn't too helpful to me since I prefer power to wind; however I did enjoy reading Mishaps' adventures. For me this is a better place.

About 3 years ago I found the 28 TE at a boat show and immediately fell for it. The lines, the lay out, the power, the bow thruster. It all made me quiver. My father was looking to move up (he presently owned a 22' Grady, I own a center console) and I was desperately trying to convince him that this WAS the boat for him. Him and I would constantly kick the tires everyonce and a while at boat shows and dealers but nothing ever came through for various reasons.

Well it took 3 years but my father (and I as his adult son with more boating experience; I used to work on boats and have a 100 GT Masters Tag) is now the owner of a 2001 28 TE, with 315 Yanmar diesel, engine box, pilot house, and more goodies -pics to follow later.

The boat was purchased through a broker from Albin Head Qtrs. in Cos Cob and everything went smoothly. Our madien voyage was from Greenwich, Ct. through western LI Sound, down the East River and finally cruised the South shore of Long Island to FI Inlet. It was a fun trip especially the sloppy and confused 4-8' seas we witnessed from the East River to FI Inlet. As usual, the predicted weather didn't last long, winds switched and so did the seas. We could of went the inside route, but the boat was handling it fine - or should I say the auto pilot was doing a great job, I was merely watching the boat at this point. We took this and other 28's out for trials, but this one was definately by fire and it stood the test.

The boat is tied behind my old man's home in Babylon on LI's South shore, and if any of you are from the northeast you know we have been having rather wet weather lately. But that hasn't stoped me from using the boat as often as I can; especially since i took a week off work and flew up from Miami to work on it and use it.

The boat was surveyed, and for the most part it passed with flying colors. However, during my time and my fathers time with and on the boat some of it's 'idiosyncrasies' are popping up and I am looking forward to correcting them with due time - Oh, the joys of owning a boat! :D

Anyway, I'd like to say that one day my father would join this list, but he isn't a 'computer guy' as he says it and unfortuantely he doesn't enjoy being a boat owner as much as he should....then again I'm something of a fanatic in almost everything I do so maybe he just doesn't ssem to enjoy owning boats as much as I do.

Nevertheless, I look forward to sharing stories, ideas, and tips with all who visit this site and learning things in the process. I can't wait to start repairing and tweaking things on the boat....just the other day I pulled out one of the portoles to see if it were responsible for a small leak in the galley area....it wasn't (next guess is the rub rail through bolt) but it sure was fun learning how to remove and rebed the window.

Cheers!

Brian
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Hi Brian,
Welcome to the board! You sound like the rest of us. In love with these great boats. I'm sure you will find some very knowledgeable people here. The board is still new but things are picking up.

I purchased Afterglow in Dec., 2005, so this is my first season with the boat. My last boat was a typical family cruiser that we called a clorox bottle. <smile> Great boat for what it is and the new owner loves it. But, we moved "up" to the Albin and couldn't be happier. Although I've been boating for 25+ years and consider myself an experienced boater, this is my first inboard. What a difference! I got myself into some tight quarters last weekend and looked like a newbie. All of the backing techniques I learned with the I/O duo prop are out the window.

I boat on the Chesapeake and love it. Shallow water around here but there are hundreds of places to go.

See pics of Afterglow and other members boats in the pictures section.

Once again...Welcome!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Thanks John. You'll be able to handle that boat like a pro in no time at all. Especially with the thruster. I saw the pics of her and she sure does look sexy. Good luck with her!

I'm sure things will start to take off quick once the word gets around
about this site and other Albin Addicts start looking for owner groups; it's only a matter of time.

Thanks again for buiding this site, it's gonna be great.

Cheers!

Brian
Denis
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Denis »

Welcome aboard Brian. You sound like a very enthusiastic boater with lots of experience to boot!
I have been a recreational boater for fifteen years, doing most of my boating in Long Island sound, Block Island sound and some up the RI coast. We bought "Red Stripe" last spring and throughly enjoyed our first summer with her. Check out the pics I posted.
I hope none of the things you need to repair will give you too many problems. You mentioned a leak, I have found our boat, a 94 to be dry as a bone in the cabin, no leaks yet, knock on wood or should I say balsa. I fear getting a leak that gets into the core.
When you get a chance, let us know what your favorite type of cruising is and some of the places you have gone. By the way, how far are you from Montauk or Block Isl.?
Denis
Elizabeth Ann
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Elizabeth Ann »

Hey Dennis,

Thanks. Like I explained in the thread above, it's actually my father's boat that I get use of when I'm in town. I live and work in Miami most of the year but take frequent trips up north many time during the summer. Believe it or not I think the northeast is the best place in the country to go boating.

If I were to cruise to Montauk or Block I could probably do it in less than a day. I never really did that trip before. The furthest I ever gone (East) was Shelter Island.

Cheers!

Brian

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”