• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28TE versus Shamrock Mackinaw 270

PnL

Albin 28TE versus Shamrock Mackinaw 270

Post by PnL »

Has anyone here been on a Shamrock Mackinaw 270 and an Albin 28TE? I'd like to know how they compare since they appear to be very similar in design.

Thanks,
Paul
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I looked at one briefly last year at the Norwalk Boat Show. Nice boat but my general impression was that it just 'felt' smaller than my Albin. The galley up configuration crowds the pilot house. I'd love a galley up boat if I had a 35+ footer but I didn't feel like it worked well here.

Can't say anything else other than they have a decent reputation. You might post the same question on THT if you haven't already.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
chiefrcd
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

Post by chiefrcd »

Looks alike, not alike in my opinion. No where near the room....
Albin 28TE "Southwind"
tomcat rio

here's one for sale

Post by tomcat rio »

the specs are close to the e28te. good looking vessel. seems to me it would hold its value the same as the albin. is it a vee drive or a straight drive? the vee drive is one of the things i don't care for too much in the albin.

http://www.seacoastmarine.com/StockS270MAC05.htm
PnL

Re: here's one for sale

Post by PnL »

tomcat rio wrote:the specs are close to the e28te. good looking vessel. seems to me it would hold its value the same as the albin. is it a vee drive or a straight drive? the vee drive is one of the things i don't care for too much in the albin.

http://www.seacoastmarine.com/StockS270MAC05.htm
The Albin 28 has a v-drive? I thought they had straight drives? Is this the difference between the flush deck and the older models?

And I did post this question on THT. So far, it has 126 reads and 0 replies :P

As far as space, the newer models of the Albin28 seem to have much less cockpit space because of the way they made that l-shaped settee - doesn't look as open as the 'older' models. I'm going to see both of these in the next few weeks but I'm not sure if I will have the opportunity to ride on them or not. Anyone's experience aboard these two vessels would be nice - a lot of folks like both these vessels so I was hoping for a comparison in ride and how they fare on anchor and drift.
PnL

Post by PnL »

Here's a quick question.

How would you say the ride on the 28TE is? I know this is subjective, but I think the answers would still be useful to me.

Thanks,
Paul
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Design Differences

Post by RicM »

I've never been on the Mac but the design differences would probably dictate the suitability for different uses. If you plan on doing a lot of fishing I would choose the Albin. The hard enclsure of wheelhouse on the Mac means if you were trolling you would have to run back and forth past the galley through the door to tend lines or if a fish hit. That would get old fast. The more open layout of the Albin would be more convenient. If you are going to feature more cruising, possibly in a colder climate, the Mac would be preferable, as you could have friends sit around the table with you as the scenery rolled by, a very pleasant way to travel. I would think hard about what you are going to use it for (mostly). Of course you could adapt to either, they are both nice boats.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
tomcat rio

vee drive

Post by tomcat rio »

i'm not sure my '93 albin 28 with a peninsular and a hurth iv630 transmission is technically a vee drive, but it isn't a straight drive.
one disadvantage is access to the stuffing box/shaft seal.
re: ride...its gets wetter the further aft you go. could one of the rich guys here get a set of those 'smart rails' and let the rest of us know if they are worth the money?
PnL

Post by PnL »

Good point on the enclosed pilot house and fishing, RicM.

My main use for this boat (Shammy or Albin) is for diving and cruising. Fishing would be third on that list. What I want is a sea worthy boat which I can load up with hundreds of pounds of equipment and have a ride that won't shatter kidney stones. We can be underwater for a LONG time doing surveys and documenting sites, so if the weather changes, or an emergency arises, I want to make sure we will all get back safely through differing sea conditions. Hopefully these scenarios won't happen too often :)

So, I am interested in a vessel which can handle weight and ride through chop and small swells without pounding too much. Speed is not as much of a concern for me than comfort and safety, and both these vessels appear to have sufficient speed for my needs (~20 knots). My understanding is because both the Shamrock and Albin have their motors down low and close to the COG, these boats tend to ride better and are more stable. Do you Albin 28 owners find this to be the case versus other boats (I/O, outboards) of the same size?
PnL

Re: vee drive

Post by PnL »

tomcat rio wrote:re: ride...its gets wetter the further aft you go. could one of the rich guys here get a set of those 'smart rails' and let the rest of us know if they are worth the money?
Is this true in all conditions? Or only when you have some chop/swells you're going through? I understand that the Mackinaw is also a 'wet' ride .... however that is defined ;)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: vee drive

Post by DougSea »

tomcat rio wrote:i'm not sure my '93 albin 28 with a peninsular and a hurth iv630 transmission is technically a vee drive, but it isn't a straight drive.

This is officially classified as a "Reversing Transmision" as it is a v-drive and tranny all in one. And yes, to answer the question posed earlier, it's the difference in the engine box (older but still made) and the newer flush deck models.

As for ride - can't anser the question as to other boats of this size but I will say that I'm comfortable with the Albin in just about anything I've encountered to date. I boat on Long Island Sound and we can get a nasty short period chop. My older (and smaller) outboards would pound the life out of you. The Albin just shoulders them aside!

My wife has a bad back and I worried that we wouldn't be able to get out on the water much. Since we picked up the Albin she's become a hardcore mariner. We've got a bunch of cruises planned for this summer (kicking off with the NE AOG rendezvous!)

I'm biased - but I LOVE this boat!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
PnL

Post by PnL »

DougSea - Awesome, this is the information I needed, biased or otherwise. The fact that your wife found the ride that much better gives me confidence that both my wife and I will find the boat comfortable.

I'm hoping to go out next Wednesday on an Albin 28 TE, although I'm not sure if its a flush deck or not. I think I will find it to my liking. I will also go aboard a Shammy Mac 270, but not sure if I can get a ride on it.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I really do appreciate it.

Paul
RicM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Design Differences

Post by RicM »

I think you are looking in the right area for comfort. I am amazed at what appears to me to be the bad design of many boats. I see no logic to placing the largest, heaviest component of a boat behind the transom, and in some cases on a bracket 3 feet behind the transom! How would a car handle with the engine behind the bumper? The whole concept of the outboard makes sense when you are able to lossen the transom bolts and lift it off the skiff or dingy yourself, but a pair of 250HP 4 stroke outboards that cost $17K each and weigh 800 lbs each makes no sense to me. It is simple logic that a boat with the motor low and in the middle is going to handle better and ride smoother.
Ric Murray

Big Time, 42' 1993 Jersey Sportfish
Formerly owned Time After Time, 2003 28TE
Wickford RI
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

PNL,
The wife factor is important. We had a typical clorox bottle crusier with an I/O. Our average crusing time was 25 hrs. Last year it was 100 hrs. Most of those hours were with my wife. The ride is a little wetter in the Albin (I have the convertible) but I have never found it terrible. As others have mentioned the intended use of any boat is important in your decision. We are a crusing family. Fishing, although I truly enjoy it, is not our main use of the boat.
Resale is important but safety, comfort, and fun are number one in my book. Since owning this boat I do not hesitate to go out in any conditions.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
jgolm

How is the ride on the 28TE

Post by jgolm »

Do what I did. I waited for a day with small craft warnings and then test drove my 28TE. There is not a better riding 28-32' boat on the market!

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”