• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Mega Projects

GPS, Sonar, Radar, Fishfinder, etc. Discuss electronics installation and upgrades.
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Mega Projects

Post by djpeewee »

Not sure which forum to put this in since it involved more than one.

So I am just finishing up three mega projects I have working on for a while - like 12 weeks.

I rewired the battery circuits and added a couple of remote battery switches (RBS), 3 automatic charging relays, a dedicated start battery, a BlueSea DC battery panel at the helm, a master cut off switch, and all new battery cable and buss bars. The existing installation was a mess from the PO, and I was concerned about spending any major time on the boat without addressing the problems. Attached is the schematic of the battery system. That is project one!

Project two, occurring simultaneously with project one is an AquaGen 150A DC generator and 24 GPH water maker powered by a Kubota diesel engine. This is nearly wrapped up too.

The third project, which is also occurring simultaneously, is a complete electronics refit. We junked the original Raymarine electronics (and sold it for $1500!) and have been installing new Garmin stuff: 7612xsv plotter, 24xHD Radar, GT51M-THP down vue/ side vue transducer pair, GHP reactor auto pilot with smart pump, VHF 200 radio, and a custom dash panel made of solid cherry to match the interior trim. About a week or so left to get this one done.

It has been a crazy three or so months. I feel so relieved that I am almost there. Most of the time was spent fixing existing stuff that wasn't done correctly in the first place, or was neglected. I'll post some pictures of the project once I finish dressing the cables and making everything pretty! Can't wait for the summer.

Oh, and I added a new sound system also...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Mega Projects

Post by Nancy »

Any one of those projects would be impressive, but all three - wow! I was going to ask where you found room for a generator and water maker, but then I noticed Flush Deck. All kinds of storage space compared to an engine box.

I'm looking forward to seeing photos!
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Great project: The 28te is a great boat and worthy of everything you do to it. I also personally like the flush deck model. My current boat and former Albin 35te have been at Anacortes Marian since 2010.
I see you are in Port Angeles, Wa. I am thinking of moving to Sidney, BC for better fishing. Any thoughts on the area. Are you primarily a fisherman or cruiser?
Would like to hear more about the water maker. That is rare in a 28te boat. In fact it is the first I have heard about.

whwells "Howard"
Last edited by whwells on Mon May 25, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

DJ,
Come to the Rendezvous in Kingston , July 17th through the 19th .
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

DJ: Agreed you should try to make the Kingston Rendevzous in July. It is a great group of Albin owner's and we have had some fun times in past meets at Cape Sante. Port Townsend and Roche Harbor. Thanks to Joreyn this looks to be the best yet.
We do have a member coming with a 35te who fishes out your way. I have seen some of his salmon, rock and halibuts catches.
Looking forward to meeting him as well. Do come join us.

I am planning on my next trip up to take the Port Angeles ferry over to Victoria then drive to Sidney and check out the Isle Marina there and catch the Anacortes ferry over that evening for my home port. Send me a private email and maybe we can meet up for at Port Angeles before I catch the 12:45 ferry.
whwells "Howard"
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by djpeewee »

Wells, we "just" bought the Albin last October. Haven't done much of anything with it yet - a couple of crabbing trips, a trip up to Deer Harbor to get the AquaGen. Getting it ready for use this summer has been an endless endeavor. This weekend I wrapped up most of the major stuff so we'll be ready for salmon and crab and cruising the San Juans. We try to get in as much fishing as possible. We'll be heading out to the coast later this year to see how the Albin does for tuna. Most weekends in the summer we are in the San Juans on the hook.

joreyn, I'll see what we can do in making the rendezvous in Kingston. I'm not sure what the schedule is for July, but it could possibly happen.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by djpeewee »

Here's a couple of photos from the electronics/dash project I finished up this weekend.

Old dash and electronics (It looked a lot worse than this photo indicates) -
Dash Before.jpg
No dash -
Dash During.jpg
New dash and electronics -
Dash After.jpg
Now the dash matches the rest of the trim in the boat as well as the chart table in the helm. Also, I have to get new labels ordered for the switches I repurposed. I added two VisionX 100w LED lights fore and two 10w LED deck lights aft. The blue masking tape isn't going to cut it. The hatch lifters and saltwater wash down pump were wired to these switches. As part of the AquaGen water maker/generator project, I removed the saltwater wash down pump and plumbed the wash down spigot to the fresh water system and upgraded the galley pump to a 7 GPM @ 80PSI pump.

I'll post some photos of the AquaGen and battery rewire projects once I get the cables dressed up and cable ties clipped.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

When you get around to uploading more photos, please include one of the chart table. :)
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Very nice. Clean.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by djpeewee »

Nancy.

Here is a photo of the chart table.
Table.jpg
Anyone know if this was from the factory or an add on?
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Very nice! thank you.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB