• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Question for Owners of A-25's with the Volvo-Penta MD17C

Albin's "power cruisers"
NickScheuer
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockford, IL

Question for Owners of A-25's with the Volvo-Penta MD17C

Post by NickScheuer »

This season I installed a rebuilt tranny. The original single-lever throttle/shift control was replaced with a new Teleflex two-lever mechanism by qualified professionals. My question; what is the maximum RPM others are getting from their motors? My max is 2300 RPM. At the same time, the motor will quit running at the minimum throttle setting, without employing the fuel shut-off mechanism. I'm wondering whether I should pull a little more throttle cable through to the attachment point on the motor so that there is enough fuel at the minimum throttle position to keep the motor running, and at the same time yield more RPM at the throttle-forward position?
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Re: Question for Owners of A-25's with the Volvo-Penta MD17C

Post by Beta Don »

*Usually* there is a throttle stop on the engine for the idle - You cannot pull the throttle back below idle because the minimum idle speed is mechanically set on the engine . . . . at least it should be

Likewise, the max attainable RPM is *usually* a factor of available horsepower vs propeller size/pitch given the gear reduction you have

An easy test - Run the boat as normal and creep up on your 2300 RPM maximum. Do you have throttle left, or is the throttle position maxxed out? If you reach max RPM and you still have more throttle available, then it's the prop size/pitch which is limiting your RPM - You don't have enough horsepower to spin that prop any faster than 2300 RPM's. On the other hand, if your throttle is also maxxed out at the same time, perhaps as you say you could use a throttle cable adjustment and possibly gain a few more RPM's. Usually, max RPM is limited by your propeller size/pitch. If you can't reach the recommended RPM for your engine and you still have throttle left, you are 'overpropped' - Have a propeller shop stamp an inch or two of pitch put of your prop and you may see better performance and fuel economy

Hope this helps,

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”