• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Auxiliary engine for A25 - Size?

Albin's "power cruisers"
Sea Symphony
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Neyland Pembrokeshire

Auxiliary engine for A25 - Size?

Post by Sea Symphony »

When I bought A25 Sea Symphony she had a stern mounted pad to take an auxiliary/stand-by outboard. The lowering device for the pad was seized and has been removed. I never met the owner to ask what engine (if any) they had ever used there. I am now planning to replace this mounting pad with a stainless one and buy a new 4 stroke OB.

The main engine is a relatively new Beta 36HP so I am not expecting to have to rely on the stand-by and it will hopefully serve as an outboard for a small RIB I intend to tow for shore access. However it will be good to have the assurance that if there is a problem or a fouled prop, for example, that I have the means to make a little speed to get me to somewhere where the main engine issue can be looked at.

6HP is about the max I can easily manhandle but will this be enough? I had a 4 stroke 6HP on a 23 yacht a few years ago and this easily took her to maximum waterline speed. However the A25 will be a little heavier.

Any thoughts or suggestions very welcome.

Mike.
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Re: Auxiliary engine for A25 - Size?

Post by smacksman »

A 6hp Seagull gets the old 70 foot Thames sailing barge 'Edme' (engineless) into/out of harbour with the tide with her.
Check the revs/hp curve in your Beta manual and see what revs produce 6hp and try motoring at those revs to get an idea of what she would handle like.
Into wind and tide will limit the minimum hp to something pratical.
I had a 5hp Nissan two stroke outboard for my sailboat's tender and it was quite a weight to handle on/off the tender so a 4 stroke would be quite a bit heavier.
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

If you had the correct prop, 6 HP would probably push an A25 close to hull speed. With a diesel you can easily compute HP used by tracking fuel used and on my 34' sailboat, hull speed in calm water required only about 9 HP. A dingy motor will not have a 'workboat' type of prop on it, so don't expect miracles, buy for emergency use, I think a 4, 5, or 6 HP 4 stroke will get you where you need to go, assuming favorable winds and currents

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

I think a 6hp would also be good for the A25. I gave a 2010 Tohatsu 6hp sailpro model. It weighs 59lbs. It's not that hard to move around. It's got a 25" shaft and even a small alternator. It's specifically designed for sailboat/displacement applications. Iced used it on a 22ft sailboat and a 13' inflatable.

Used you can find them for $800-1000

On the yahoo group several people report using Yamaha 9.9 high thrust outboards as good auxiliaries for the A27.

Excellent
Sea Symphony
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sea Symphony »

Thank you smacksman, BetaDon and JT48348. Those replies are really helpful.

I agree that the prop selection will be important and I would specify the high-thrust prop. I am not looking for sparkling performance if I use it on the tender and whilst it might get more use that way, it is being bought for its back-up role. Hopefully it will never be needed in anger.

The 6hp I had on my sail boat was the Tohatsu sailpro model - a lovely engine that started first time and ran perfectly. Yes it was heavy but I did lift it on and off every weekend!

Thanks again,

Mike
Northern Spy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Belhaven N.C.

Post by Northern Spy »

I have an older evinrude yachtwin 8hp long shaft high thrust. It was able to push my delux at 4.5kn.
Sea Symphony
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sea Symphony »

Thanks, Northern Spy.

I am picking up the new mounting bracket this weekend and then will try a 6HP. I'm getting a good deal on that engine and I will recoup my money if it doesn't work!

Mike.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”