• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

A27 - Engine Room Refit

Albin's "power cruisers"
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: A27 - Engine Room Refit

Post by tego »

Don, Will you be selling the trailer separately? I'm in the market for one. Ben
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

Ben,

Just sold it today - Boat and trailer. I had 3 or 4 different people who wanted the trailer *if* it didn't go with the boat

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

Congratulations Don, hope you encouraged the new buyer to join the forum (if they aren't already) I know many of us are interested in seeing the restoration of the restoration!

Jay
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Post by tego »

Don, Thanks for the reply. Congrats on the sale. Hope to continue seeing you on here. Ben
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Detroit

Post by JT48348 »

Found this: photo of the exhaust side of Ld28 shows the ports an exhaust manifold would need to match. Idk if this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St. Petersburg Municipal Marina, St. Pete Fla.

Post by rnummi »

What about "over engining" it? I. E. What's in the A27SC? Seems to me the hulls are the same. I know the SC has the deck under the PH raised about 3-4 inches to accommodate the larger engine. I think I recall Bomac in Georgia sells rebuilt and plug and play motors as well. I'm guessing the Lancing Marine motors would be cost prohibitive. Boy, I sure would like to follow your footsteps. It looks like an epic job (and a ways beyond my skill set). Congrats on the extraction. Ingenious method for pulling the Nissan.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

I was just going back over your posts JT. I think you might be on to something with the "kicker" concept. have you permanently put to rest the "kicker" concept? I think with reinforcement you might have hit upon a solution. Wonder how the boat would sit with the weight moved all the way back. Man that would be one heck of a tank in the old engine well. I don't think reinforcement would be any problem. The whole transom looks ready made for a 1 inch glassed reinforcement panel.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
sail149
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuck at home on trailer! Chesapeake bay intended....

Post by sail149 »

The largest OEM engine I saw was a mercruiser(same as BMW,but actually Italian mfg) 6 cyl 180hp diesel in a '93 and it was an AC too. It had a large 4 blade prop!
Warren
'84. 27AC. Lehman 4D61
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

I'm holding in place and continuing to research the engine issues. I'm about 95% the Nissan will not be going back in so I have it listed it for sale. If I had the time and tools I'd probably attempot a rebuild, but I have too much going on with the boat refitt to learn a new skill set. The diesel options I have now are:

1) Cummins diesel package from Trans-Atlantic Diesel. 4B 3.3 65hp @ 2800rpm http://www.tadiesels.com/cu-B3.3M.html
$10,300 + a transmission. The whole package is about $13,500 with panel mounts etc.

2) Beta Marine 38. The estimate I received put it about $11,500. Twin disc transmission, panel, mounts, etc.
Betta Marine 43. Same set up, about $13,000
Beta Marine 60. Same set up, about $15,500
Joe DeMers @ Sound Mairne http://www.soundmarinediesel.com/ seems to be the Beta guy to go to. They have repowered A25s, and at least one A27, but that might have been done in NC or FL. The tech help seems appealing. These prices are from actual estimates but may be slightly old. This assumes I will use my 120 Balmar alternator.

3) Used rebuilt or remanufactured diesel like a Yanmar or something from http://www.dieselenginetrader.com/
But this really off the grid and DIY and have to hunt for a good kit

I haven't given up on the outboard idea. But the outboard idea creates issues for battery charging, transom reinforcement, swim platform adjustment, controls, repair to the old prop space etc. As a backup kicker the Yamaha 9.9 with elephant ears is the way to go. But an actual power unit would need to be 50hp I think. I think a package would run $8k. For many reason I think diesel is probably where I'm going, and I like the Beta 38 right now for particular needs.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

Art&Crafts protect for engine room: took 4" numbers made of 1/4" thick MDF and epoxied to hull. Coast Guard requires documented vessels to have doc number permanently affixed to hull as identification. Since I plan to paint the hull, previously glassed/painted numbers will be covered up. New numbers came from big box hobby store $8 total.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Beta Don
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Biloxi MS

Post by Beta Don »

JT,

Surely a professional rebuild on the Yanmar you have would be less than $10K . . . . wouldn't it? - Or, buy a rebuilt one and use the one you have as the core trade-in

I paid $10K for mine, but it had a brand new heat exchanger, brand new injection pump, brand new turbo, brand new (bronze) exhaust elbow and a brand new Hurth ZF-45 2:1 trans and it came with a brand new $2K OEM instrument panel & harness . . . . plus, I had no core engine to trade in. Usually a rebuilt engine has those items rebuilt and not brand new AND they require a core engine to be returned to them so the costs should be much less

Search for your 4JH3-TE (if that's the engine you have) and see what a rebuilt one would cost you. Gotta be less than all your other options

Don
1984 A27 FC #116 'Beta Carina'
Yanmar Turbo Intercooled 100 HP
Homeport Biloxi Back Bay
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

You would think so but not really. There's rebuilt and remanufactured. The yanmar is so expensive parts wise there's not that much difference in the price by the time you add all the widgets.
JT48348
First Mate
First Mate

Post by JT48348 »

One of the things I noticed while crawling around the boat in its stripped down state is that there appears to be nothing separating the aft cabin from the side cockpit lockers or the fuel tank area. At least on the sides.

My engine compartment is completely enclosed.

It seems like the lockers & fuel tank area under the cockpit ought to be pretty much enclosed and separated from the aft cabin. Any one else tried this?

I'm thinking of some lightweight panels made of the PVC foam board that would be screwed verticle in place on the sides of the aft berths. And maybe another separating the cockpit locker from the cabin.

I'm n the hand, either hull freshly painted it might not matter. Thinking about etching and painting the alum fuel tank as well.
rnummi
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rnummi »

That's the same question I asked a couple of months ago. I've got the A/c unit in port locker and holding tank in starboard... Ild like to plug in a couple of panels.
RNummi
84 A27FC Lehman 4D61
Hull #84 April 1984
Jay Knoll
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Vero Beach FL

Post by Jay Knoll »

the berths on mine are enclosed, no openings into the engine room/locker area

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”