• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

My 1977 Albin 25 Deluxe rebuild thread

Albin's "power cruisers"
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southold, NY

Re: My 1977 Albin 25 Deluxe rebuild thread

Post by hetek »

I was as surprised as you, DA. 9.8 knots?! And that was with still air and no current.

Remember, back on page 1 of this thread, I had calculated theoretical speeds based on hull type, horsepower and displacement using the Boatdiesel.com calculators. The calculator said top speed 10 knots. I’d say 9.8 is a win!

I think the deciding factors are the lighter Vetus engine and the deLuxe’s hull design. Look how high in the water she floats! Loading her up for an extended cruise with provisions will certainly slow her some.

Haven’t ventured much into electronics beyond a VHF so far. The Garmin was for my speedometer. I also got within 100 RPM of maximum for the engine, so I’m not even going to try tweaking the prop. I call that win #2.

Tomorrow I’m going to check the alignment of the drive shaft. No indication of anything wrong, but I did notice my aft cabin door closes differently now than when she was on the trailer. I think the hull might have settled now that she’s in the water.

I do have a cockpit cover with a window but would prefer to cruise without it up. At dock is a different story.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
1977 A25 deLuxe - a work in progress
WillieC
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Hood Canal, WA

Post by WillieC »

When I set my engine alignment on its trailer, I got it as close as I could. (The WillieC also has an R&D shaft saver coupling which is somewhat forgiving.)

When I put it in the water I rechecked alignment and it hadn’t moved enough to bother.

9.8 vs. 10 kt calculated. That’s good maths. Now go boating! (As your life permits.)
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

Good points Willie C.

Like I said, no trouble to report, just curiosity if anything.

Some sage wisdom states you check alignment after the boat is in the water for a week. Must have been where I got it from. But what about those who trailer their boats? Surely no one says “I have to let the boat float for a week, then I can align the shaft, THEN we can go boating.”

No one I know.

I put in my request to get my boat hauled yesterday. I want to be sure it is shrink wrapped and tucked away before Spring.

Doh!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

hetek wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:43 pm 6AFFE33F-8104-49AE-9129-AB50491DA1D8.jpeg

08739962-D907-48E7-83B6-5778E6758EC6.jpeg

Speechless.
NO SH--! just awesome!
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
tribologist
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Groton. Ct

Post by tribologist »

hetek wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:24 pm CE0ABD81-E209-4324-85B0-A2AC14B79F19.jpeg3733F749-E279-4038-91E7-D99C0BD8A4A7.jpeg

9.8 knots top speed! Not to shabby for a marinized commercial Mitsubishi 3 cylinder diesel. The Mighty Vetus lives up to her name! All 25 hp of her!

Took a 2 mile shakedown run to see how she did. No trouble to report!

My 91 year old dad wanted to go along for the ride so I put him to work, taking the helm while I checked things out. He did great. He’s hired!

Engine ran cool at 180 degrees (new heat exchanger helped here, I’m sure)

Overall, very, very happy!

5B34C379-BC80-4F43-98CA-551EB891AA93.jpeg

That is just awesome!!! Been waiting for this for a long time!!!! Next year we are doing a rendezvous! So looking forward to meet you and the boat!!
Driftless
A25 1971 #737
South Windsor, Ct
ssrig
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: ganges

Post by ssrig »

I thing you are right about the speed vs weight of the engine, I could get about the same speed with my boat when it was empty and that was with that big monster engine making 55 hp! Mind you I couldn’t get to wot, my prop is too big and I am looking at getting it tweaked. Makes so much sense having a properly sized engine for the boat!

How much does that engine of yours weigh? Mine is around 560 lbs!
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

The Vetus, WITH GEAR, only weighs 270 lbs!

It is a 3 cylinder Vetus M3.09 25hp based on a Mitsubishi commercial diesel. I’ve heard they were used for forklifts but can’t be 100% sure.

It has a small Hurth gear (that I had a marine transmission shop rebuild). A baby Hurth!

The boat displacement (weight) was a data input field on the Boatdiesel.com calculator. I took the Albin spec boat weight, subtracted the weight of the original Volvo engine and added the weight of the Vetus. That, and I used the “semi-displacement” hull type and prop pitch/diameter and gear ratio values, iirc.

The calculated results were pretty much spot on with my real-world speed.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

AAA5CDE0-04B9-4316-BA2D-F9B7A55B1A12.jpeg
Here she is, hibernating for the Winter.

Great news:

I managed to get my trailer registered with… wait for it… a TRANSFERABLE Registration! That’s The NY equivalent of a Title of Ownership for a trailer under 1,000 lbs. To provide proof, you have to get the trailer weighed at a certified scale and you need to submit the weight slip with your application.

My trailer’s unladen weight? 980 lbs!

Over 1,000 lbs it gets REAL complicated!

Granted, I now have a “home-built” trailer registration but it is now legit and legal. I also had to provide receipts showing I built something (I had almost $2k in receipts for tires, brakes, lights and harness, winch and coupler…)

New license plate is now on and I just stamped the new VIN into the frame this afternoon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Oh, NY. Used to be my home state (way up north in Saratoga County) from 1967 to '77. That is good info on unladen weight, thanks. I've only ever weighed my boat + trailer, not the trailer by itself. It's also aluminum & not much different in size than yours, so I'd expect to be within +/- a couple hundred pounds of yours, weighing maybe no more than 1,200 lbs, 1,500 lbs at most. Since the last time I had the boat and trailer weighed on a truck scale it was 6,058 lbs, which means the boat (fully loaded) displaces somewhere around 4,500 to 4,800 lbs give or take.

In Arizona trailers are titled by MVD same as cars & trucks. Boats are not titled, just bill of sale an AZ number registration under the purview of AZ Dept of Game & Fish. Trailers 6,000 lbs GVWR capacity and under get permanent registration tags (no need to renew) after paying a one time $120 fee for new trailers or ones coming in from out of state. For used trailers previously titled & registered in AZ & purchased by an AZ resident there's only a small registration transfer fee. But they do have to be visually inspected to verify the VIN number. RV's and trailers over 6,000 lbs GVWR have to have tags renewed each year (or every 2 years at owner's discretion) and have to pay an annual vehicle license tax based on original MSRP and age, which diminishes by 15% each year. Homebuilt trailers have to be inspected and a have new VIN number issued & stamped on the frame.
Empty trailer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
hetek
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by hetek »

DA - You just reinforced what I’ve always thought: Each state has absolutely crazy rules when it comes to boats, trailers and vehicles!

Unladen weight over 1,000 lbs in NY requires you make an appointment with a State inspector to view and inspect the trailer. If all goes well, then they will assign a VIN. Under 1,000 lbs everything is done at the NY DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). You hand them forms and receipts and walk out with a plate and a VIN. Easy peasy.

I had a feeling my trailer was on the borderline and was hoping it was under. I even thought of buying bias ply tires rather than the heavier steel belted!

Also, the scale weighs in 20 lb increments so 980 is as close to 1,000 as you can get!
Jon B.
Former owner of...
"Bunkie" - a 1984 A27FC
New owner of...

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”