• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rendezvous Requirements

Coordinator:
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Rendezvous Requirements

Post by loubennett »

We are much later than normal to get this organized, but I'll try to get things started. First we should stay with our traditional format. For those who have not attended previously an outline is below.

Friday - boats arrive, checkin, informal cocktail party on the dock or someone's boat, groups form for dinner at local restaurants

Saturday - breakfast on your own, guest speaker late morning, on your own until late afternoon, pot luck cookout late afternoon/evening including awards

Sunday - boats depart on their own schedule

This format has served well in the past. It makes for a relaxed, enjoyable, and cost effective weekend with lots of time to interact with other Albin owners. There are two key things that must be decided soon - where and when. In the past reservations with our chosen marina have been made as early as January. That allowed a lot of freedom in choosing the dates. The marinas that have the facilities to accommodate 15 to 20 transient boats are few on the bay so they fill up early with various boating groups. It's now June and I'm sure many weekend are already booked.

This leaves two alternatives - pick a place and settle for a weekend they still have open or pick a date and see if we can find a marina. I personally prefer the first. Either approach will likely result in the rendezvous being in late July, August or September. As many of you know, I'm active with the race committee at my yacht club. Fortunately the race schedule is pretty light the second half of July and August. Things pick up in September and October.

Candidate Marinas - the best places for a rendezvous in the mid part of the bay are Herrington Harbour South, Knapps Narrows Marina, and Harbour Inn in St. Michaels. Thes are all located within reasonable distance for northern bay boats and those as far south as Solomons. We have had past rendezvous at all three and they were all successful. Solomons has been suggested as a location and had some discussion last year. I think there was some agreement, but I also think we thought someone from there would take charge. It's a long trip for boats from the Baltimore area and north. The only marinas with suitable facilities that I'm aware of are Zanhisers and Solomons Yacht Center.

I'm fine with any of these locations and open to other inputs. When suggesting other places, keep in mind that in the past we have had 15 to 20 boats and we like them to be docked close together if possible. Most marinas on the bay can't handle a group that large.

I can't emphasize too much how late we are organizing this. Please provide any inputs or preferences you have, but do it quickly. I want to make a decision on location within the next week so I can call them and pick a date.

John Collins - yes, I'll be the coordinator. I can't stand the thought of not having a 10th annual event.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Rendezvous Requirements

Post by Carl »

Thanks Lou, any of the locations will get my vote, they all have a pool!! July or August works for me. Probably will come down to whats available. Laurel and I will help out with whatever we can, just let us know.

Thanks again!
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

Lou,

Thanks for stepping up! Sharon and I are up for any of the three locations you suggested (with bias towards our home port, Herrington Harbour South). 8) If we are available on the decided weekend, we'll be glad to host happy hour on our boat Friday evening like we have for past rendezvous.

Rob
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
cih43
Mate
Mate
Home Port: bodkin yatch club (bodkin creek pasadena Md

Post by cih43 »

Tolchester always has a bunch of empty slips /pool and nice tiki bar by the beach/and sometimes good slip prices for groups.
HerBoat35
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cambridge MD

Post by HerBoat35 »

Thanks Lou,
Any of the marinas mentioned works for us. Let us know how we can help.
Bayard & Gladys Taylor
Bayard & Gladys Taylor
35 Albin TE
Wake Up Call

Formally -
28 Albin TE Flush Deck
Friend Ship
abellch
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Norfolk, Va

Post by abellch »

Lou, let me add my thanks as well. Any of the locations works for me and although it's a long haul from Norfolk Deb and I plan to attend if we have a big enough weather window. I did not make either of the Cambridge events so this year is a priority for us.

On another note, we watch the Nationals games on MASN and there is a recurring add for visiting Annapolis that has a lovely Blue hull Albin idling through the old harbor basin. I always wonder if its Quest and if you are getting a royalties from the city fathers.

Chuck
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loubennett »

Chuck - It is Quest in the Annapolis Visitors Center video. One of the ladies at my yacht club works there and they were looking for a boat to be in the background for the shoot. No royalties, but they did give me enough to cover fuel and lunches for me and several friends who were on board.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Remedy322
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Knapps Narrows, Tilghman, MD

Rendezvous Requirements

Post by Remedy322 »

Thanks for getting this going, we are on board to any of these locations. Jean and I are looking forward to seeing you all!
Cheers,
Dave Brooks
Remedy
kowal_53
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kowal_53 »

I was think of hosting such an event, but was running into dog sitting issues so I guess you beat me to it. ( we have three dogs to deal with) The end of July through mid August are booked for us. I am planning a week boating vacation in September 10th to the 17th should it happen one of those weekends.
Current: Good Mojo 2008 TE 31 - Cummins QSC 8.3 500 HP
Former: Blue Without You 2006 TE 28 - Yanmar 6PLA - 315 HP
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

We have been kicking around a trip back up to the Chesapeake when the weather cools off. If the Rendezvous were in September we might make it.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Count us in for September, at any of the venues suggested.

Just a note about Herring Bay (Herrington et al); Rockhall Creek amenities have been upgraded by the addition of a newly-built 15 room hotel - The Anchored Inn - with nicely appointed rooms overlooking the creek, pool etc, at Hidden Harbor Marina, which has a well equipped boat-yard with 50+ slips. Hidden Harbor is the home of Weaver Yachts, which are built on site, and then taken to Herrington for fitting out.

There is a non-opening road bridge between the marina and the Bay, but we have no issues getting through with antennae up. There are a couple of Ts for transits; following the 2015 re-acquisition and upgrade this a pretty sweet working marina, with very good professional and self-help amenities, and knowledgeable people.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
furball
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chester, Md

Post by furball »

Lou,
We're in, schedule permitting.
Look forward to seeing everyone.
Any of the places you mentioned are fine with us.
Thanks Lou and great to know that's you in the commercial :)

John
Chief
2005 31TE
Cummins 450

Formerly,
Transition
2006 28TE
Yanmar 6LP
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Correction - I do of course mean Rockhold Creek, not Rockhall, which is an entirely different place.
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mike »

Lou - Awesome for you to pick this up again. Mike and I are good for July, August, or early Sept and look forward to it.
Also, if anyone is in for tripping this month we are heading to Herrington South the 19th, St. Mike's the 22nd, Rock Hall the 25th and possibly heading to Baltimore from there.
We will keep our eyes open for dates and we are open for location.
Beth
Time Out Annapolis
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DCatSea »

Hi Lou,

Thanks for following up on the thread for the 10th Albin Reunion in the mid-Bay. September would be great for us.

I don't know if I can be of any help, not having participated in one of these before, but I am more than willing and able to help out if you need a hand, and apparently I'm fairly well organized at the last minute.

I am in Deale MD, so quite central, especially for Herrington South and, even if a little slow (I am getting worried at 8 knots), at Tilghman/Knapps.

Let me know if I can be of help.

Best

Doug
Doug and Georgia
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak

Return to “10th Annual Chesapeake Rendezous - 2016”