• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

NC/SC Rendezvous - CANCELLED!!!!!

Know about or organizing a raft-up? Where, when?
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Re: NC/SC Rendezvous, Southport, NC, Nov. 1st - 3rd

Post by kathylsails »

We were going to ask the same question! We're still planning on attending.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
WaterLover
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Folly Beach, SC

Post by WaterLover »

I am still hoping to attend also. Will wait for final confirmation closer to the date.
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

First let me apologize to all for not keeping in closer touch. Between going back to work and our little grandson, I've been awfully distracted, but in a good way.

Anyway, YES, it's still on! I'm in discussions with the Southport Marina about 10 boats for a Friday arrival and Sunday departure, having them open their Tiki Bar on Friday evening (cash bar) for an informal get-together/social (no speeches, etc.) and then of course the Steede Bonnett Pirate Race daytime and party on Saturday night. This is a costume party that you can dress up any way you want...you'll see it all, trust me, it's a lot of fun.

That being said, does anyone want to arrive Thurs and/or depart Monday? I know it's still early, but can each of you reply again if you're planning on coming (realizing that stuff happens). I'm using a number of 10 boats in my talks with the marina, so if it's going to be more, the sooner I know the better in terms of reserving slips.

Here's a link to the marina website so you can get a glimpse of the facility.

http://www.southport-marina.com/index.html

I've never done one of these before, so don't set your expectations too high. I will be posting here as soon as I know anything.
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

Chris & Dale

I have coordinated the Chesapeake Rendezvous for the past three years. Relax, you're past the hardest part - selecting a location. In dealing with the marinas around here, I have always had the marina hold a certain number of slips and had the attendees make reservations directly with the marina. They are always willing to hold the space until a particular date for the group. After that date, latecomers take their chances on availability. This also clearly places the financial responsibility on the individual attendees. Have them identify themselves as part of the Albin Owners Group Rendezvous and the marina will usually update you from time to time on how many have made reservations. The other thing to ask the marina is to put the whole group in close proximity. Their ability to do this depends on there setup, but it does make the rendezvous more cohesive.

Our Chesapeake Rendezvous are fairly informal. For the most part when groups of people with a common interest gather, they entertain themselves and have a good time. I have attended five rendezvous now and find the AOG group to be one of the most congenial I have encountered. If you haven't already, you may want to peruse the forums for the past Chesapeake and Northeast rendezvous to get a feeling for how they are structured.

Good luck with your efforts. Don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of further help.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Thanks for the advice Lou. It should be fun!
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kathylsails »

Thank you for all that you are doing! We will likely get there Friday and leave Sunday since I have to work. We can all make our reservations directly with the marina, like Lou suggested. We look forward to meeting you and the other Albin owners!
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

To All: Don't make your reservations at the Marina until I get the details finalized, which I hope will be this week. As soon as I do, I'll post it here! Thanks
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

OK...Here's the details:

Dates - Arrive Friday, Nov 1st and depart Sunday, Nov 3rd. (Early arrivals/late departures OK w/marina)

Events
Friday afternoon - 4:00 to 6:00 p.m. social on the Tiki Hut Deck at the marina, cash bar. Briefing about observing the Steede Bonnett Pirate Race on Sat. by land or by sea.

Friday evening - dinner at your choice of waterfront resturaunts (menus & directions will be provided)

Saturday morning - open for wandering the downtown shops, Maritime Museum, etc. (more details later)

Saturday - 1:00 Steede Bonnett race begins. It usually takes until about 4:00 p.m. to get everyone back.
About 5:30, Provision company food buffet begins and then the party, which includes the race awards ceremony. Live music, dancing, and frivolity until 11:00 p.m.

Sunday - 8:00 a.m. - Tiki Hut Deck - Bring your own coffee and I'll bring the dognuts & pastry.

Southport Marina - http://www.southport-marina.com Hank Whitley - Marina Manager
AOG Rate - $1.50 per foot (normally $1.75)
30 amp service $5 per day, 50 amp service $8 per day
Please contact them directly for booking and mention AOG and my name.
Once you book, please drop me a line at cdswabbie AT ec.rr.com just so I can keep up.

NOTE: There is a limited number of 30 amp connections (everything else is 50 amp) so if you have a 30 amp to 50 amp connector, please tell them and bring it. He's trying to keep us all together.

So, that it for now. Lets make this a good one. The marina would love for us to make it an annual event.
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kathylsails »

OK, KP Duty has a reservation! Whoever took our reservation did not seem to know that there were a group of us Albin Owners, but he was quite pleasant.
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

I'll follow up this weekend and make sure it's set. Thanks for the feedback and for coming. We're going to have fun!
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Post by kjg1951 »

I have today wed sept 11, emailed the marina to make reservations for Nov 1-3 ....
Kevin and Mary Guilfoyle
kjg1951
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oriental NC

Post by kjg1951 »

I just heard back from "Chris" at south port marina... they have NO record of any Albin Rendezvous in Nov.. Do i have the right marina????

kevin Guilfoyle
Blue Dolphin
New bern N.C.
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

Yes, it's still on! I've sent the marina manager an e-mail and will go there tomorrow to sort out the confusion. Will post more tomorrow. Thanks
Chris & Dale

Post by Chris & Dale »

OK, just to reassure everyone, the rendezvous is still on and I've been reassured by the Marina Manager, Hank Whitley and Chris, the Dockmaster, that everyone's on board to take your reservations. The designated days are Friday and Saturday, Nov 1st & 2nd, but if you want to come early or leave late, no problem. Again, please drop me a line or a post here to confirm you're coming. Thanks
kathylsails
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kathylsails »

We are confirmed at the marina and are looking forward to meeting you and the other Albin Owners!
"KP Duty" Albin 30 FC

Return to “Meet and Greet”