• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Great Bear Rainforest

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Great Bear Rainforest

Post by coolchange »

Hi all...has anyone cruised the Great Bear Rainforest (British Columbia)? Or, have you been in the process of planning a trip up there? I am planning to plan a maybe trip next summer..vague enough?? Anyway, I am asking to see if anyone can recommend books, charts, stops on the way etc.
I have been as far North as Sullivan Bay and likely would launch in Bellingham and make a pretty direct run to Sullivan Bay area..or maybe similar run to north Vancouver island and then dial in some slow cruising.

the other option is taking a ferry to Vancouver Island and driving/towing as far North as possible...saving lots of boat time to have more in the area.

So, suggestions, resources and etc all greatly appreciated.
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
dkirsop
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pender Island, BC, Canada

Re: Great Bear Rainforest

Post by dkirsop »

Port McNeill has an excellent boat ramp if you decide to trailer to the top of Vancouver Island. Port McNeill Marina can refer you to secure long term parking.
Hull No. 1013, 1971
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

We're planning on a Desolation Sound Cruise this summer ourselves, probably launch from Blaine since the 60 day free truck/trailer parking option at Squalicum Harbor in Bellingham is no longer available. Apparently the overflow lot behind Redden's is being developed. But Great Bear Rainforest? Wow, that's way up there! dkirsop's suggestion seems like your best bet. You can take a Washington State ferry from Anacortes over to Sidney or from Port Angeles to Victoria. There are BC ferries that run from Port Hardy all the way up to Prince Rupert, but I don't know if there's any place you could launch a boat from up there or even if those ferries would take a boat & trailer as big & wide as an A27. In any case, once you crossed that bit of open water between Port Hardy & Calvert Island you could follow the ferry route in mostly sheltered channels.
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

Dolce...you'll want to keep your dinghy attached :)
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
DesertAlbin736
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Peoria, AZ USA

Post by DesertAlbin736 »

Not a problem now that we have lift davits!
La Dolce Vita
1971 Albin 25 #736
Yanmar 3GM30F
Gig Harbor Boatworks Nisqually 8 dinghy
Residence: Peoria, AZ
Homeport: Lake Pleasant, AZ & beyond
joreyn
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Ludlow, WA

Post by joreyn »

Tim, when we had the PNW rendezvous in Port Townsend, there was a Canadian couple who launched their boat in Bella Coola, and cruisded down to join us. They had a FC like you. Makes me think, why not tow Metanoia up there and launch right in the middle of the Inside Passage. No need to cross the Straits.
Blue Moon
1999 36 Express Trawler

Return to “Cruising”