• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site. Digests will be enabled soon.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Newport to Vineyard trip

Albin Sightings! Where did you go, who did you meet?

Moderator: jcollins

jaybap
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: newport RI

Newport to Vineyard trip

Post by jaybap »

Thinking of heading over to the Vineyard on the Albin second week of sept. any recommendations on where to moor or dock. Thinking Edgartown or Oak bluffs.

thanks
Jay
2004 28' Albin FD "DOG DAZE II"
rebuckley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Westerly, RI (WYC)

Re: Newport to Vineyard trip

Post by rebuckley »

Lake Tashmoo !!! Only .25 or .5 mile walk into vineyard haven - and you can use buses from there - - but nice quiet harbor. I think the moorings were form Lake Tashmoo Boat Yard - but may be some town ones as well (Tisbury, MA) and they do have designated anchor spots.
Reb Buckley
36' 1983 Classic (Au Naturel)
15' Guardian Whaler
Westerly, RI (WYC)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi Jay,

We've stayed in both Edgartown (town mooring) and Lake Tashmoo (anchored). I'd recommend them both, but they are VERY different! So it's depends on what you're looking for. Peace and solitude with access to town is Lake Tashmoo. Being a quick dingy or launch hop away from a lot of restaurants is Edgartown. Haven't stayed in Oak Bluffs.

I believe Lake Tashmoo has a limit on the number of nights you can anchor, but I'm not certain.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Capt Brad
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Mattapoisett Ma

Post by Capt Brad »

Living in Mattapoisett on Buzzards Bay, We frequent Tashmoo all summer. Very quiet except on weekends. They do have a pumpout boat as well. When season starts to wind down, we also go to Oak Bluffs and Edgartown which are both much better in the fall.less hectic. Oak bluffs is Key West like, funky, and party central but you do have the fabled campground /gingerbread house and tabernakle for a peaceful quiet walk. . Edgartown is more stately . Somewhere in the fall is the big fishing derby so that week things can be rowdy. Not sure when it is though. Depends on what you are looking for.
Brad Smith
About Time, 2006 28TE FD
Capt Brad

Return to “Cruising”